Steve turns and stares at them in semi-disbelief, "Stark?"

They exit the elevator and make their way towards one of the Helicarrier. They walk under one of the engines.

"He had a few suggestions once he got an up-close look at our old turbines," They make their way past a few of the guns mounted, "These new long-range precision guns can eliminate 1,000 hostiles a minute." 

They stopped on a catwalk overlooking the front of a Helicarrier as Fury continued, "The satellites can read a terrorist's DNA before he steps outside his spider hole. We're gonna neutralize a lot of threats before they even happen."

"Thought the punishment usually came after the crime." 

"We can't afford to wait that long," Fury tells him.

"Who's 'we'?"

".. After New York, I convinced the World Security Council we needed a quantum surge in threat analysis. For once, we're way ahead of the curve."

Steve argues back, "By holding a gun to everyone on Earth and calling it protection." 

"You know, I read those SSR files. 'Greatest Generation'? You guys did some nasty stuff," Fury tries to flip.

"Yeah.. we compromised. Sometimes in ways that made us not sleep so well. But we did it so that people could be free... This isn't freedom. This is fear." 

"S.H.I.E.L.D. takes the world as it is, not as we'd like it to be. And it's getting damn near past time for you to get with that program, Cap." 

"...Don't hold your breath," Steve tells him before walking away.

__________

----- January 9th, 2014 - Washington D.C -----

"Welcome to the Smithsonian. Visitor information booths are available on the second level." 

Steve walks past a few dilapidated planes and jets. He makes his way through the building, towards a very specific exhibit.

There's a doorway with the words 'Welcome Back, Cap and Lieutenant.' on a wall to the left. 

On the left side of the doorway itself, is a basic mural of Steve with his Shield and the Star on his chest the only defining characteristics. On the right, Its Y/N with the 'S' on his chest standing out.

Written on each side respectively were:

'Captain America: The Living Legend - Symbol of Courage'

'Superman: The Second Advent - Symbol of Hope'

Steve walks through the doorway to see a more detailed mural on a wall of him and Y/N in front of the American Flag.

"Symbols to the nation. Heroes to the world. The story of Captain America and Superman is one of honor, bravery and sacrifice. Denied enlistment due to poor health, Steven Rogers and Superman, name scrubbed from archives, were chosen for a program unique in the annals of American warfare. One that would transform them into the world's first Super-Soldiers."

He walks foward and stops at a group of kids who were in front of two changing pictures of him and Y/N. The pictures kept switching between Pre-Serum and Post-Serum. 

One older boy was carrying his brother so he was at Pre-Serum Y/N's height. His sister held her hand from his head then to Y/N's as if pretending he was tall enough. The boy was wearing a buff padded Superman costume.

Over at a picture of Steve, two little girls were trying to measure their heights. Steve looks next to them to see a boy staring at him in awe. He was wearing a shirt with his shield on it.