iii: what have i gotten myself into?!

The following week, Sana threw me a small smile when she entered the room. I had to pinch myself to know if everything was real. However, all I could do was smile back. I wanted to say something more, start a topic to talk about, or ask her how her weekend went. But I got tongue-tied.

We only sat in silence, while Sana went reading her notes - her usual routine - until Miss Kang arrived and started with the quiz.

While I answered, I couldn't erase the image of Sana smiling at me. I wanted her to smile at me again. So, instead of the test, my thoughts were filled with her.

I only realized I was supposed to be focusing when I took a glance at her, seeing her serious thinking face while she answered her test paper.

Thankfully, I was able to pass the quiz with flying colors and Miss Kang dismissed us early.

Since we still have two hours before our next class, Jihyo asked us to hang out. She even included Sana despite the last time we talked about her being aloof. And none of us expected that she would be coming with us. And I've never been so happy. Maybe Sana was starting to warm up.

Then I thought, this would be my opportunity to get to know her, however, it also became an opportunity for Jeongyeon to lowkey tease me and try to make me walk side by side with Sana.

I was impressed with how Jihyo, Jeongyeon, and Mina could easily talk with her while here I was, being her seatmate, still couldn't utter a single word to her.

After we walked aimlessly around campus, I suggested we go to the cafe' where Chaeyoung introduced Tzuyu to me, and where I saw Sana with the guy. And it turned out Mina's girlfriend was Dahyun - the culinary student working part time as a barista - Jeongyeon, Chaeyoung, and I sort of became acquainted with, since we hang out here frequently.

What a small world.

Mina kept glancing towards Dahyun throughout; while Jeongyeon took the opportunity to ask Sana some personal questions. Particularly, her love life.

"I'm not in a relationship," Sana said much to our surprise. She might've noticed the shocked looks on our faces but decided not to comment about it. Well, she was always quiet, I doubt she would say much.

"You're single?" Jihyo asked, still looking so surprised. She took a quick glance at me then back to Sana. "Someone said they saw you with a guy."

I knew Jihyo was referring to me. I should've just kept my mouth shut, I knew they didn't get my point back then. "Anyway, she said she's single," I said, feeling happy with the information.

Jihyo glanced at me again but she didn't say anything. I almost thought she'd say 'you're the one who told us you saw her with a guy,' but it didn't happen. Next time, I'd be careful with the things I share with them.

Just as I was about to thank Jeongyeon for asking Sana's relationship status, she said: "Why are you single?"

And I wanted to smack her head for asking such dumb question. Why did she have to ask? Wasn't she happy that I might have a shot with Sana? But maybe, it wasn't an entirely dumb question, I realized. I wanted to know why.

When Sana didn't answer right away, Jeongyeon continued, "I mean, you're pretty. I'm sure someone asked you out."

"It's... a long story. And I'm prioritizing my studies," Sana answered.

"Can't you do both?" Jeongyeon pressed on. "I mean, study and be in a relationship?"

For some reason, her question made Sana smile but it didn't reach her eyes. "Manageable, but it's complicated for now."