Be Mine?

Onika POV

Two Days Later

"Thank you, for letting me stay over Mrs. Banks" I said pulling away from Thembi's mom warm embrace.

"No problem Onika, you're like my second daughter. My house is always open to you sweetheart. All the best on your big exam baby." Thembi mom gave me a quick kiss on my forehead, handing me over a plate wrapped in foil.

"Make sure finish that breakfast before you go into that exam Nicki."

"Yes Mam." I said getting in my car. I gave her one final wave before taking the five-minute commute back to my mom's house a few blocks down to change.

I had decided to come over to Thembi's house to reboot myself, which included ignoring all the stressors in my life- even Giselle. Most importantly I came over to study for my final. I love Beyonce- God knows I do, but she's definitely a huge distraction in my life. She stopped calling me after she saw I didn't answer after the third call yesterday.

I was so fed up with her it wasn't even funny. Her clarifying that's she still not ready for a commitment put everything into perspective for me. The truth was no matter how much Beyonce changed, she was still Beyonce. She was still that alpha female, who turned heads and dominated respect in anyone room she walked in. But she was also the community dick who had my dumbass sitting in a jail cell before. She was still the woman who put her hands on before and she was still the woman who left after we had lost a child. And the sad part about it, despite all of it I loved her, but I loved her more than she loved me- and that was the problem.

I pulled into work and did my best to put Beyonce in the back of my mind. As I approached the entrance of the hospital, I spotted her jag parked in its designated spot. Entering the hospital, I made my way to the educational center where our exams would be taking place. When I arrived, they had strict rules, you could not bring your own supplies, pat-down-check, and finger printing. There were about 8 different preceptors in the room. When I walked in chills crawled down my spine seeing the two empty designated desks for Michael and Cardi.

I made eye contact with Lo as she shook her head sadly. I took a seat next to a girl who had her head down. They were passing around scantron papers, when I turned to hand her one, I almost jumped out my skin, it was Normani. Her face looked like someone definitely beat her ass good. She took the scantron embarrassingly putting her head back down.

I instantly shot Lauren a look. If you have a best friend and she can't telepathically read your mind- news flash that's not your damn friend.

"Good morning residents, my name is Michelle I will be your exam instructor today. Unfortunately, Dr. Lawson could not be here. But she sends her best wishes. The examination is being passed around, you have 350 questions, and you have four hours. You may begin." She commenced

I ripped the exam packet open reading the first question.

'Fuck'. I thought- just know if you can't answer the first question your basically fucked. And that's how I felt throughout the entire exam fucked. I was the last one to leave with tears in my eyes.

I had gone to the locker room to grab my coat and stethoscope. As much as I wanted to go home and crawl in bed and cry, today was actually my first day back at work since I lost my baby. It was bittersweet being back, but I felt better about going back in the O.R again.

"Onika!" Dr. Solo lax but strong voice came up behind me. Before I turned around, I was being pushed in a secluded corner.

"Have you spoken to Beyonce?" She whispered.

"Uhhh...No, we got into it last time. I haven't seen her nor answered her calls...What's up?"

Dr. Solo looked around debating her next steps. "Uhhh—She was picked up two days ago from NYPD, for questioning. They weren't being transparent about what she as being questioned for...But I have a strong feeling it has something to do with Cardi. They've had her for almost two days now, her lawyer just got in town. He should be on his way down to the precinct, I have surgeries back-to-back and I'm sure I'm the last person Juju wants to see right now. Can you please go down there, she should be getting released soon."