Chapter 13: The Fight

Start from the beginning

Atlas smirked inwardly. Now here was someone worthy of his respect. Despite being bullied by almost everyone at the academy, and without having any ability to show off, Thyra Torsten knew how to stand her ground.

''You're right,'' he finally spoke up. ''We are equals.''

''We are?'' Caspian asked, clearly shocked at his best friends' words. What was he playing at?

''Indeed.'' Atlas said then turned to the two girls. ''Now, who will tell me about what's going on with Fleming?''

The two girls exchanged looks as they silently communicated, before turning to face the two boys. ''I'm afraid it's not our place to say anything,'' Hyacinth spoke up.

Atlas nodded in understanding. ''Do you think she will be okay?''

''She'll be fine,'' Thyra replied. The two girls stood up, bade the boys goodnight and left for their dorm.

Seraphina however, was anything but fine. That night she came in late and no matter how hard she tried to, she could not sleep. She was angry, not only at herself but at her mother too.

Her mother was a fire wielder? A fire wielder? And never in her whole life did she mention it!

If she really did make it out of the fire, then where was she? Why had she not come for her? Was she fed up with her own daughter? Did she not love her?

Seraphina tossed and turned in her sleep that whole night, and she was up before dawn the next day. Hyacinth and Thyra were still asleep, so she tip-toed to the bathroom. As soon as she was ready, she quietly left the room and went down to the hollow.

She needed to practice, she needed to prove to professor Syrana and Ms. Greeves that she was capable of doing more than just conjuring a small flame, and then when she is ready, she would go look for her mother, find her and ask her why she hid a major part of her life from her. Why she had never told her about it all. Why they had to stay in a village like Copperfin when she could have grown up in towns like Wickerfield, or Hollowvile, where people like her stayed.

''Why?!" She groaned out in agony as tears rolled down her cheeks, while on the other hand, her grief and anger had brought out her fire. She watched as the flames danced around her fingers waiting to be controlled.

Vowing to concentrate on her ability, she straightened her back and focused all her energy on the fire.

Slowly by slowly the flames around her fingers grew, engulfing her hands in the process. She stared at them, marveling at the fact that she could not be burned, before closing her eyes. She pictured how she wanted the fire to look like, what form she wanted it to take. And when she finally had a clear picture, she opened her eyes to see a medium sized ball of fire hovering a few feet above the ground.

''Told you she'd be here,'' she heard a familiar voice from behind her.

She closed her eyes and released a sharp breath. ''How did you find me?''

''It's was pretty obvious.'' Thyra replied and sat down next to her. ''I come here to be alone too.''

Hyacinth joined the two girls, but her eyes were on the floating ball of fire. ''You did that?''

''Yes.''

''Did you channel it through your anger?''

Seraphina didn't reply. Hyacinth pinched the bridge of her nose and was about to rebuke her, but Thyra shook her head and stopped her.

''Do you want to talk about it?'' The lean girl asked.

Seraphina cocked an eyebrow at Thyra's sudden change of behavior and scoffed. ''Do you even care?''