Perfect places

Alma

17 years old

Dark brown-blackish hair

Brown eyes

Ale

17 years old

Black fluffy  hair

Black eyes

4 years ago

4 years ago.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you are in a dream? The feeling Where you say something to yourself a million times but no matter what you still can't wrap your brain around it? I didn't. not until now. I knew that when I sat down on my old table in the kitchen everything would change. The table shook slightly when I sat down, its weak old legs creaking slightly. I knew something was wrong. We all did. For a while now something was off. My dad sleeping on the couch, my mom getting drunk and crying all the time, then trying to reconnect. So when they sat me down I wasn't shocked. I knew what was about to happen.

"We've decided, it's best for me and your mom..." his voice cracked and I looked away from my father.  I had never seen my dad cry. Nor did I want to. I used to want him too. I used to want comfort, to know crying is okay. Not anymore. His voice quivering and his eyes spilling was an unfamiliar sight to me. And I wished with every bone in my body I was dreaming. I couldn't wrap my head around it. I knew it was going to happen but I still couldn't believe it was happening. the words 'divorce' seemed to slip from my mind. Something that could never happen to me. I glanced at my brother from the other side of the table and we met eyes. His eyes were red and tears covered his face, falling gracefully from his eyes. I fidgeted and zoned out. I wasn't mad. I wasn't sad but tears still stained my cheeks. I wasn't a wreck but snot was still running through my nose. The next few hours were awkward. We acted as if nothing happened and for a moment I thought it was normal again. until I realized it wasn't. we wouldn't be living in the same house anymore, we wouldn't have family dinners anymore. I went into my room and didn't come out until the next morning. It felt surreal. I felt gray.