The Letter That Changed the World

A warm day in a rural part of Midwest America during the early days of July found a young girl sitting on a swing at her elementary school. She had a shock of black hair on her head, perpetually ruffled, with sharp features across her tanned face. It was a regal sharpness. One of her eyes was a deep emerald green while the other was a sharp and striking silver. She had always been one to attract attention due to her eyes. Her sing-song British accent made her stand out amongst her friends even more. She was also much more athletic than her peers, opting for shorts and often getting under her mother's skin with her competitive nature.

School had ended and she was waiting for her mother to arrive. Normally she'd be one of the few remaining students at the school late into the afternoon, but today was special. Today her mother would be much earlier. It was three days after her eleventh birthday, as well as her favorite holiday. She always enjoyed the sound of the fireworks. The patriotic displays and joyous faces all around elevated her happiness during that day. Today found the young girl quite pensive, however, in direct opposition to the after birthday buzz she was used to. She had received quite the peculiar post earlier that day.

As she had walked to the SUV that morning with her mother, there was an owl perched on the hood of the vehicle. She had giggled in delight at the scene but her mother hurried over to the bird. Instead of her mother shooing the bird away, or the owl making a move to fly, the large creature just held out a claw to show a letter tied to the limb. Her mother quickly took the letter and allowed the bird onto her arm, rushing it to the back of their house muttering about the poor animal.

When her mother had returned she had been happier than her little brothers' first birthday four years before. She had received an invitation to an international school that would take her through her secondary education. It was in the UK, but her mother also said that it wouldn't be as far as it seemed.

Lyra had always known that her parents were not born in the USA. Her mother said she'd explain things after school and to expect her right away. So here she was, on the swing, waiting for her mother while her friends started playing in the gym until their parents showed up much later.

"Lyra Potter!" She looked up as her name was called. One of the school aids had come out to find her. "Your mother is here!"

She hopped up from her seat and grabbed her school bag, shouting a hastey farewell to the aid. She jogged her way to the front of the school, spotting their car quickly with her mother leaning back against the side of the vehicle. Usually her mother would drive their SUV, but today she had their coupe. It was strictly a two seater, small and something only her mother and father rode in. She had never before even been able to sit in it while it had the engine running, much less off. It was a rare and expensive model from what she understood. Her mother was grinning at her as she approached. Lyra returned a large smile of her own, happy to get to see her mother so early.

Her mother had her arms crossed, and even though she held her back straight, her shoulders were as relaxed as ever. Her cropped hair was a silvery blonde, held back in light product. She had on a neatly tailored blouse and a dark green skirt. Her makeup was modest as ever. A pendant of two intertwined serpents, one gold the other silver, held along her collar bones. It was the first gift she had ever received from Lyra's father. The one thing that was not usual was the stick in her hand. Her mother detested nature and everything to do with it which always seemed odd to her considering they lived in such a rural area.

"My little dragon!" Her mother called out, leaning down and hugging her tightly. "Are you ready to go home?" She asked, holding Lyra out. She glowed at her mother's love.

"Yup!" The little girl chirped. All of her earlier moodiness was forgotten in her mother's shining presence. Her mother raised the stick in her hand, again drawing the girl's attention to it. A small light shot forth, dissipating in a shower above them. Lyra's eyes widened. Her mother ignored her surprise, though, opening the door to their car. She turned around to give Lyra an amused smile, obviously expecting her to react the way she did.