5

Ragnar is jumpy and defocused from his surroundings in the next few days until he finally gets the call he's been waiting for. It's already pitch-black outside, the house is quiet, everyone has gone home by now, and Lagertha is with Astrid. He's staring at a pile of bills intimidatingly towering over him when his phone rings, and he's more than happy to answer it, partly because this forces him, unfortunately, to take a break.

He becomes even happier when he hears the voice say hello. He immediately asks with a smile: "Are you here?"

"I arrived at Kristiansand," Athelstan answers. "I'll catch a bus, and‒"

Ragnar jumps up. "Don't be silly! I'm right on my way to you," he says while hurrying to put on shoes and a coat.

"You really don't have to, it's already too kind of you that you're letting me‒"

"Shut up, Athelstan." He grabs the car keys and leaves the house. "You've been travelling for more than a whole day now. I'm coming to get you."

Athelstan mumbles a thank you as Ragnar joyfully gets into the car and starts the engine.

"I'll be there in roughly 40 minutes. Will you be alright until then?"

"I'll be waiting for you."

There is a persistent little smile on Ragnar's face the entire ride.

Getting out of the car, he enters the little café Athelstan texted him the address of. After a quick scan, he spots the man sitting at a table with his back to the entrance. He moves closer quietly, then quickly presses a kiss on his neck and hugs his shoulder from behind.

"Hello," Athelstan mumbles in his arms.

Ragnar goes around the table and drops down on the chair across from Athelstan. He flashes a grin.

"I hope it's okay... I came in for warmth."

"Of course."

"Would you like to try my coffee? I completely forgot what Scandinavian coffee is like."

Ragnar ignores the question, and asks, instead, realising he's eager to hear the answer: "Do you like it?"

"I could get used to it," Athelstan smiles coyly.

Satisfaction washes over Ragnar. They are not talking about the coffee ‒ at least he hopes Athelstan knows that too. Maybe only time will be able to tell.

"You should," he says, "I'm not planning on letting you home."

Athelstan lets out a little laugh. "I was kind of assuming that."

A big smile creeps up, sets camp, and finds its home on Ragnar's face. "Shall we go home?" He jumps up and extends his hand which Athelstan takes happily. They walk to the car hand-in-hand.

Rolling out to the road, Ragnar is the first to speak. "How were you able to avoid getting on a plane?"

Athelstan huffs. "It wasn't easy, nor short. But Rose's car has been fixed, and that dear soul offered me a ride from the island to Folkestone which is a long drive, mind you, so I had the wonderful opportunity to get to know her even better."

"Folkestone?"

"Yes, I took the Eurotunnel from there."

"Jesus, you made it way longer. You don't go on ships either, or what?"

"I do, but there are no direct ships to Norway. I guess those times have passed when you could just board a ship and sail anywhere you wished..."

"Huh. I guess they did. You could've told me you're going on a road trip. I would've loved to join you."