XIV part two interrogation

XIV.

That summer was a translucent tangerine.

The police wouldn't let anyone out; strict rules were wrapping the town. Additionally, they were given mace bottles and tasers and taught how to use them on creepy strangers. Carson kicked a can and it went flying and rolling down the street, a sweet droplet of cola glittering on his lower lip as he reminiscences the chaos that had set in Romanstoff campus.

Never had he ever parents care more than they did that summer.

Somehow, word had gotten out. Media were covering strange bits of news on how low Romanstoff, The Romanstoff, led on securities. However, Carson also noted the abnormally lengthy vacation — not that anyone complained — a twenty and one days the place gathered moss and dust, now even staff reluctant to work. Were there lives in danger?

Anyway, Carson had to go back. Many others did. Home was supposed to be safe. The dorm kids were naturally paranoid — missing Blythe didn't live with them — but what if she pays a midnight visit?

Undoubtedly, they were convinced she was murdered. Or at least gone for good. Good riddance in a way. She was the homework collector, the suck up, the pimp, the only lass who had balls enough to look royalty in the eye. And look at her now, they'd console themselves.

Were the royalty guilty?

Same thought ran like acid in Raymon's veins, what if the rumours bear truth?

In his head, he went through one scripts after another. The conclusion similar in every : Blythe was abducted, kidnapped, taken hostage — can there be anything that the police has missed? Any red herrings leading to you? He could not stress it enough.

Despite morning, Raymon's walls made things harder to see, he wet his throat and swapped hankie over his moustache area anxiously.

He heard his most disappointing student distantly, as if between them lied a sunflower field, but instead of sun-spoilt yellows, all they that was visible was rust, police tapes marking, red wires spilled like snakes, the place oily — dangerous, like minefield —

"You must be wondering how come Normani didn't attend the event. To clear your doubts, I'd let you in on full version of the story."

Full story?

It was surprising and yet it wasn't that selected parts of the story were disposed to him. Like seriously, what kind of reckless student would confess she'd been diving in her boyfriend's bed as a form of alibi?

Raymon levelled his gaze with Eleanor's. She was the least fazed, one hand laying upon the other, white gold hair nurturing secrets — a gut feeling, a hunch — hard to pinpoint so he'd to let it go. Wes proceeded with his confession, "no one's judging you, sis." He reassured Normani, then used hand gestures and spoke, "truth is important. Especially when it can save a life."

Kai, his best friend or so it seemed, nodded curtly, urgently, bravely and earnestly. Though Raymon waited on Eleanor to react.

"I can't remember whatever you're suggesting."

Raymon raced her. "Can you tell us for her? I'm sure I'm keeping you guys from important tasks."

Ellie responded positively. By agreeing. Vocally. Blunt.

"OK OK listen." Raymon's hope struggled to breathe when a smile, however brief, was spotted on the Britisher's face.

"Sis was dateless that night. No guy had asked her none. She was disappointed..."

Nora frowned. Whether it was because he spoke truth or because he chose use her cover or something else was open to speculation. "Which is why she did not come, is that what you're saying?" With a sympathetic look.

"Oh god," this topic worked like an ice breaker, "this is both embarrassing and awkward. Uh... I was her date"

"That's shame, miss Penn."

Nora gently held onto his end of the straw, sympathy. Wes was only partly shocked.

"So bottom line, you two left early and sibling pair didn't show because of studying? Nora..?"

"Yes sir?"

"Do you still have those papers?"

Her voice wavered," not at the moment "

Raymon calmed her : "its no problem. Get me them by one. And Kai..." Kai, the immigrant kid. It should not be annoying that often Romanstoff would go to greater lengths to support "diversity". The annoying part was the parents either miles away, or wouldn't respond to school contact. Never once Kai's father had been spotted in the premises. Raymon knew it for the record that that man existed, alive, Kai was too responsible to fake a parent signature. Cowardly too.

"Not much you guys can get," said he unsure of himself, pressing mouth shut in a way that appeared —

"Any last word?"

He waited.

As always, he waited.

He was one of those teachers to think even last five minutes of a period can bring forth a scholar.

Minutes flew.

"Okay then. You are dis—"

"Wait"

Kai's last words made the others shrink in comparison. "I have something to say," they piled up and waited next to the exit door, across from it. "I can't promise it'd be useful information. I can't. I'm shook. I seriously don't know who could be so v-vicious as to do this to my friend," his friend, what a beautiful sentiment. His stammering convinced Raymon of his sincerity, for starters. "She was never in anyone's way... Although, rumors say she was resented in a way."

Resented?

"In what way?"

Raymon pushed.

"I didn't get it honestly. She was brilliant, but she wasn't just excited about prom, she was also deeply nervous...

" She feared people's envy, and their deep seated hatred," Kai had stopped sounding like his detached self then," because she was a teacher's daughter... "

Raymon startled him," what a nonsensical prejudice! "

"I thought so too. She was undeserving, no better than scholarship student in their eyes. It was so messed up. Ugh, I wish they saw her hard working nature!"

Raymon wasn't aware of this issue until now. Blythe was self centred that manner; she wouldn't burden her daddy with... That. All these times — she endured, endured...

"Oh Kaisei"

"Would it be inappropriate to hug you?"

He was flat against his bigger frame without any prior notice, thus answered. Sweet grief.

"You were the kindest pal, Seon."

In that moment, Raymon felt himself crying tears of relief and joy. She had someone. Blythe wasn't on her own. She had a friend. A person weeping in front of everyone the tears of angst, shared his frustration... Kai...

When all of a sudden, the door was pounded open and somebody dashed in. He, of all people, made Eleanor Penn smile.

"Sorry! I'm late! I got here ASAP!"

(PART TWO)

-