ix. run away

     AS MIRABEL WENT to reluctantly confront Isabela, Valentina went to find Abuela

AS MIRABEL WENT to reluctantly confront Isabela, Valentina went to find Abuela. She stood in front of her room, not wanting to knock, but she knew she at least had to try not matter how much she hated it.

     "Are you gonna be okay?" Emilio asked in concern.

     "I kind of have to be," Valentina sighed, and finally built up the courage to knock on the door, "Abuela?" She called out, but didn't get an answer. "It's me, Valentina. I wanted to see if we could talk!"

     Silence.

"Abuela?" This time she opened the door and peeked inside but the room was empty. She shut the door, confused on where she would even be.

She went downstairs to continue her search, but was soon grabbed by a worried Pepa. "Where have you been? We've been looking everywhere," the woman fretted, a cloud of snow quickly growing above her head.

"I just stepped outside for a bit," she excused. "Have you seen Abuela? I need to talk to her."

"She's in town talking to the Guzmans, why?" Pepa asked, confused.

"Nothing!" Valentina shouted, grabbing Emilio's hand and the pair quickly raced out of the house and into town.

Emilio and Valentina split up, searching for where the woman could be. Valentina didn't even know what to say to the woman or how to initiate the conversation. She didn't even know if Abuela would want to speak to her after what happened at the dinner with Isabela's ruined proposal. If it meant saving their family's miracle, it was at least worth a shot.

Valentina finally found her in the middle of the town, talking to Mrs. Guzman and Mariano, seeming to apologize for what happened. However, when she saw Valentina, the woman's attitude seemed to change. She took a deep breath, and slowly began to approach her, having a bad feeling about what was about to happen.

"Abuela?" Valentina stepped up to her. "I wanted to see if we could, um, maybe talk?"

"What is there to talk about? You and Mirabel ruined Isabela's proposal, ruining a beautiful thing for her and the encanto!" The woman scoffed, barely casting a glance to her.