Chapter 3

Peter never felt more nervous in his entire life, for a week he couldn't even sleep straight thinking about that exam, in his head he knew that he put the right number of questions wrong, but he couldn't shake the bad felling he had in the pit of his empty rumbling stomach.

He hadn't eaten anything today, since it was end of the month Aunt may was still waiting for her paycheck, so right now his small apartment was void of any food. He just wanted to get through this week, and then he could go find a job and help his aunt with the bills.

With a sigh he forced himself to exit his apartment and drag himself to school, he wanted to wait and see if May got home from her night shift, to talk to her, 'just in case' he thought. But she didn't get home yet, and it was getting late, so he had to go.

His relief was instant when he arrived at school and saw that no government cars were parked out front. That could only mean one thing, no one had been selected, Peter was finally at peace, he had made it, he would see his aunt again tonight.

This was being the best day in Peter's life, he was free from the one thing that had tormented him all his life, he could finally know that he would be next to his aunt and friends for the rest of his life. That day, nothing else matter, he laughed with Ned, making their plans for the future.

All was well, until his final class. Peter wasn't listening to anything his teacher was saying. Technically this day was useless, but it was required to all students attend until the end of the official selection day, so teachers filled it up with tips to find a job and false hopes for a bright future.

Peter snapped off his daydream, when he heard a sudden commotion of cars and voices just outside the school. He tried to look out the window, but from where he was sitting, he could not see a thing. Peter could almost hear the steeps going in the direction of his classroom, when suddenly the door opens, silencing his teacher.

"Can I help you?" his professor asked the intruders

Peter almost gasped when he recognized the symbol on their clothes, they were from the selection. Did someone on his class got selected? It couldn't be him, anyone but him.

Peter held his breath as they fully entered the room, ignoring his teacher

"Peter Parker?" one of them asked, his eyes surveying the room. Peter froze, no no no they couldn't be asking for him, please not him.

"Peter Parker?" he asked again, now looking at Peter. His whole class including his teacher were all looking at him.

Peter didn't trust himself to speak, so he responded with a shaky nod

"Under the law of the selection, you are to be escorted to section one"

The world stopped; all Peter's hope vanished when he heard that sentence. 'He got selected?' no that's impossible there as to be a mistake.

Peter was in shock as he was lifted from his chair by one of the officials. He led the static boy, with a firm grip on Peter's shoulder, down the multiple row of desks toward the front where he locked eyes with the apologetic ones from his teacher, to be honest if the man wasn't grabbing his arm by now he would have collapse. His entire body was shaking, and he was holding back his tears.

As he was dragged out of the class, he risked a glance to Ned, who looked at him with a shocked and sad expression, knowing he would never see his best friend ever again, and all their plans would be worth nothing.

The officials didn't speak as they walked down the empty corridor of the school, his few belongings long forgotten at his desk, he wouldn't be needing them anymore to where they were taking him.