The reporter's voice was cut off as Penelope dropped her phone into the folds of her covers, muffling the sound.

Her head was reeling.

Daevon...

Daevon was missing?

"Why are we doing this again?" Liam groaned before letting out a big yawn

"Why are we doing this again?" Liam groaned before letting out a big yawn. Beneath them, Penelope's dad's truck bumped along the rough road.

Earlier that morning, as soon as the news sank in and her brain started working again, Penelope had rushed over to his house. She hadn't realized how early it was until Beth answered the door in her housecoat, bleary-eyed with her short-cropped hair sticking up in every direction. But after Penelope managed to explain what had happened, everyone in the house sprang into action, agreeing to help in the search effort.

"Because," Penelope replied sharply, "just because Daevon is a certified douche bag doesn't mean I want him to get hurt, or die. Or any of them, for that matter, even Xander. They need our help, so we're helping. It's the right thing to do."

Liam grumbled again, but nothing Penelope could hear. She didn't get what he was so bothered about. Maybe he just wasn't a morning person.

Penelope ignored him and looked out the truck's big back window. Behind them, Beth and her dad were following in Beth's SUV. Lyla and Henry had stayed back to look after the campsite. Her dad saw her looking and waved, giving her his best be-strong smile. Penelope tried her best to smile back, but it just felt forced.

As she turned back, the trees were opening up as they arrived at the abandoned logging camp they had visited only a few days before. It was anything but abandoned now. The clearing was now packed with vehicles and people. Officials like police, fire, and SAR—Search and Rescue—were cloistered in tight groups, discussing strategy over large maps spread across vehicle hoods. Nearby, more people were standing around, every one of them decked out in bright orange visi-vests emblazoned with VOLUNTEER. But what shocked Penelope the most was the sheer number of news vans, their teams on the hunt for anyone who would submit to an interview, though it looked like the police were keeping them at bay—for now.

Penelope was suddenly glad she wore her big hoodie. She pulled up the hood and tucked her hair into it, hoping to go unnoticed by the many watchful eyes. The last thing she needed was to get recognized now. If they knew who Daevon was, then they would know her, too...

Liam pulled the truck alongside the row of other parked vehicles. "Damn, what a zoo," Liam said, his brows folding into a frown. "You sure you want to do this? It looks like they have plenty of volunteers already."

"Yes, I'm sure," Penelope said. Whatever her history with Daevon, it felt wrong to sit back and do nothing. She opened the truck door and hopped out, heading for the crowd.

Her dad was already out, too, and waiting for her. Beth had parked right next to the truck. "How're you doing, kid?"

Penelope eyed him. "Fine," she said.