|| Heart of Darkness

❝SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE❞

SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE

Elena walked down the stairs into the basement with a bag. She approached the door to one of the cells and peered through the barred door window.

"Alaric ?" Elena asked as Alaric said "Yep. Still me."

Elena unlocked the door and entered the cell. Alaric was sitting on a cot in the room.

"You know, you shouldn't be in here. It defeats the point of the whole being locked in a cellar thing." Alaric said.

Elena dropped the bag on the ground. "Well, you still need the basics. Toothbrush, clothes, some boring books to help you sleep."

Alaric picked up one of the books and hands it to Elena. "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?"

"What? No, I grabbed....Damon" as she dropped the book on the floor.

"Thinks he's hilarious."

"At least one of us still has a sense of humor." Alaric. "Are you sure that you...? I mean you don't have to be kept in here."

"Ah, no, this is...this is the right place for me to be. At least until you guys can convince my highly uncooperative alter ego to fess up to where I or he hid the white oak stake."

"We looked everywhere. You....the other you, hid it well." as Alaric said " What's Klaus and Kassandra gonna do if you can't find it?"

"It's the only thing that will kill him, so wage war, murder people, you know Klaus and Kassandra stuff."

Elena pulled up a chair and sat down in it. "Listen, Stefan and Skylar are gonna watch over you for a little while. Now that Klaus and Kassandra know where Jeremy is, it's not safe so, Damon and I are gonna go to Denver to pick him up."

"Why do you say that like you're waiting for me to disapprove?" as Elena said " I don't know. Me and Damon. Traveling across the country."

"I guess I'm more curious to hear what Stefan has to say about it." as Elena said "Actually, it was his idea. He thinks that I have some unresolved feelings for Damon."

"Do you ?" as Elena said "I guess that's why I'm going on this trip. So I can figure it out."

Upstairs, Stefan was standing in front of the fireplace, staring into the flames. Damon was bringing luggage down for the trip.

"You hear from Klaus and Kassandra?"

"Not yet. I'm sure I will soon though." as he picked up the White Oak Stake. "They expecting me to deliver two stakes, I only have one."