✩17

but its youuuu you're the on that i want

Throughout the whole school day, Jungwon noticed how quiet she was

Throughout the whole school day, Jungwon noticed how quiet she was. She would only respond with one-word answers before drifting off in her own thoughts.

She was thinking a lot of things, but one thing she knew for sure was that she was relieved because she wasn't alone in this. Ever since she got her superpowers or peculiarity as Jisung called it, she couldn't help but feel all alone.

Even though she had Jungwon by her side, she still felt a little lonely knowing that nobody else was like her. Or so she thought.

Damin understood she should be grateful since she was unique, but she still had a number of questions about why she got it.

Why her?

She had no idea if it was for the better or for the worst. However, she would subsequently learn that it was the latter.

Damin raised her eyes and noticed that it belonged to none other than Jisung's friend, Zhong Chenle.

So they're both peculiar too...

Jungwon chewed his lower lip as he considered why she was so quiet. Why is she acting differently now when she was okay yesterday?

When he couldn't find a reason why he resulted to blaming himself instead. It was a bad habit he picked up along the early years of teenagehood, which was exactly what he unconsciously did right now .

Jungwon silently watched her as she looked at her food. She had barely touched her food.

He decided to ask her the question that had been bothering him for the previous two hours after internal pondering.

"Hey, are you okay? You've been acting a little quiet since you came to school." Jungwon asked, his voice tinged with worry and concern.

Damin hesitated for a second, Jisung's voice ringing in her ear.

"And don't tell anybody else."

Her gaze shifted to Jisung's table, where she noticed that he and his friend, Chenle, were also staring at her.

"Yeah. Just a little tired." She lied through her teeth. She felt guilty for lying to Jungwon but the last thing she wanted was to involve him in this. He was aware that she was lying, but he didn't dwell on it. There must be a valid explanation why she didn't want to tell him.

Once the last bell of the day rang, she waved Jungwon goodbye headed to the area where Jisung had said they'd meet up.

She waited and waited. Then waited some more. And some more. And— you get the point.

Damin was willing to wait even longer for answers since she was desperate. She'd finally lost patience after a good 30 minutes of waiting.

When she turned to leave, she was interrupted by a voice from afar.

"Damin, wait up!" said Jisung. "Sorry for coming late, this idiot right here made the teacher lecture us all."

The boy beside him opened his mouth to defend himself but Jisung cut him off.

"How long has it been since you..." Jisung looked around and once he was sure it was just the three of them, he continued, "Since you got your peculiarity."

Damin thought for a few seconds, "Since I came here so almost 2 months ago."

"Did you have any signs?" Chenle asked. When their powers started to manifest, they would be some clear signs.

"I kept getting headaches for about 2 weeks. It first happened when I stopped a bookshelf from falling on Jungwon then later I found out I could lift objects with my mind." She elaborated.

"Are you and Jungwon..." Although Jisung didn't finish his sentence, Damin knew what he meant. It seemed like the only question she gets asked whenever she met new people.

"W-we're just friends." She pressed her lips into a fine line. She wasn't sure whether she should be happy that they were friends or sad that it would be the only thing they could ever be.

Friends.

She'd been avoiding her increasing feelings for the dimpled boy for the past several days, and it seemed like the more she did, the deeper she fell for him. But she didn't want to ruin what they have now so she chose to ignore them whenever she was with him.

She felt a wave of remorse rush over her as she remembered how she had lied to him earlier during lunch. He was plainly concerned for her, as any normal friend would be, but she had no choice but to lie to him. Damin then made a mental note to tell Jungwon everything later.

"That's good because what we are about to tell you now, you cannot tell anybody about it, not even your best friend," Chenle said and she nodded hesitantly.

He sounded really serious, the playful expression that was always on his face long gone, which slightly intimidated her.

"It's already bad enough that a few normals know about you," Jisung added.

"Can I ask a question?" said Damin.

"What's so bad about other people knowing about our powe— peculiarity?" She was genuinely bewildered since Jisung took great measures to make sure they were alone.

A gasp from Chenle.

"Wights. Those horrible creatures," said Jisung. Even though a few of her questions were answered, she still had a great amount to ask.

"We can't linger out here for too long, come with us back to our loop and we'll explain everything."