Progress?

The rest of your day went fairly smoothly. Michael only came out of his room to eat. He didn't say anything to you, though part of you wished he would. Elizabeth and Evan had you playing games with them the entire day, and you learned a lot about the behavior of small British children.

8:30 rolled around faster than you could've imagined. Putting the kids to bed wasn't too hard, but they did whine about it.

"Y/N, please, don't leave! We like having you here." Elizabeth said as you pulled her covers over her.

"I can't stay here forever, Elizabeth." You gently pet her head. "I have to go home to my family."

She sighed, but allowed you to leave her room. Evan was easier to put to bed. He told you that he had fun, and that he was excited to see you again tomorrow. You flicked his light off and closed the door behind you as you left.

Walking back down the hall, you stared at Michael's door. You knew you didn't have to tuck him in and make sure he went to bed, but you should at least tell him you were leaving, right?

You lightly tapped on the door a few times. "Michael?" Your voice was barely above a whisper.

He opened the door. His hair was disheveled and he was rubbing his eyes with one hand. Was he sleeping? Did you wake him up?

"Ah... sorry," You said. "I just wanted to let you know that I'm heading out for the night."

He slowly blinked a few times, soaking in the information. "What time is it?" His voice was groggy.

"Just after 8:30." You told him. "Were you sleeping?"

He nodded. You were about to walk away when you suddenly felt a hand on top of your head, causing you to freeze. Looking up, it was Michael's hand. He lightly ruffled your hair, and a little smile crossed his face.

"See you tomorrow, Y/N."

He removed his hand and closed the door before you could give him a response. You stared at the plain white door that was only a few inches away from your face. It was as though you had forgotten how to move your body. Were you dreaming? Was it a hallucination?

There was absolutely no way Michael was being nice to you, right? He hated your guts! He made that fact painfully obvious from the second he laid eyes on you. Why would he change his mind now?

You shook off those thoughts. Michael did hate you, surely. He showed it time and time again. He was probably just too tired to register what he was doing. Hell, he even called you by your name, which he's done only one other time.

You gathered up all of your things and tried not to think about it. Before you knew it, you were exiting the house and climbing into your car. You drove back home, letting your thoughts mix with the music.

You came home to see your mom sitting on the couch and watching television. She was in a big blanket burrito but stood up quickly to greet you.

"Oh, Y/N! You're home!" She pulled you into a big, blankety hug. "How was it?"

"I learned a lot," You admitted. "The kids really like having their hair brushed. They eat beans on toast for breakfast. Elizabeth has way too much energy. I could go on."

"And that Michael boy? He didn't give you too much trouble, did he?"

The imagery of the white door in front of your eyes came back. You did your best to hide the blush that was slowly creeping onto your cheeks.

"Only a little bit. He helped me cook breakfast, so that was nice..."

She pinched your cheek. "Does my little Y/N have a crush?" She teased.

"Mooom!" You whined. She let you go and you went to your room before she could tease you more. It felt like forever since you'd been back in the small space.

You changed clothes and flopped down onto your bed. Tomorrow was another day, and you'd have to get up early to be back at the Afton's again.

See you tomorrow, Y/N. Michael's stupid voice rang through your head. You closed your eyes and fell asleep.

You woke up the next morning, bright and early at 7. You showered and changed your clothes, making your way back downstairs to tell your mom goodbye.

She pulled you into a quick hug and kissed your cheek. "I'm running a little late, sorry hun. Good luck!" You watched as she hurried towards the door. She paused for a second before she turned back to you. "And don't kiss that Michael boy!"

You scoffed. She had nothing to worry about, it's not like that would ever happen. You grabbed your keys and a small bag to keep some of your things in and set off to your car.

You arrived at the house just after 7:50. William let you inside, and to your surprise, Michael sat on the couch, eyes glued to the television.

"Ah, Y/N. One more thing before I leave." William slid a jacket over his shoulders as he spoke. "My business partner, Henry, will be stopping by later with his two children. Elizabeth and Charlotte are quite close. Michael already knows he's supposed to help you watch all four of the children."

Michael just hummed in response, not looking away from the screen.

"Alright, William." You gave the older man a smile. "Sounds good."

He nodded, he glanced at his son for a moment. It looked like he was going to say something, but decided against it. He walked out without saying anything.

You turned to Michael, who hadn't even turned his head in your direction. You wondered if he remembered what he said to you last night, but you doubted that.

"Mike?" You stopped yourself. You hadn't meant to call him that. Finally he turned to look at you, a confused expression plastered on his face.

"Who told you we were on a nickname basis?"

"Um, sorry. It was an accident," You muttered. He rolled his eyes before turning back to the screen.

"You'll want to wake up Liz. She gets really excited when Charlie comes over and she has this whole thing about wanting to look nice. She takes forever."