Week 16 Part 2 (Friday)

Start from the beginning

     I'm not going to fall asleep on the six-hour bus ride, despite being exhausted. I don't want to have another nightmare on the bus. I'm also going to have to eat on the bus, instead of in the car. I know I agreed to this, and I want to do it, but I also don't. It's too daunting.

     Mom grabs her suitcase, I start a feed, and we're off. It's a little easier lugging my suitcase, but I'm still incredibly weak, so Mom has to take over when we get to the lobby. Despite being exhausted from just existing, I'm also insanely excited.

     I lean my head against the window, making sure I don't squish my backpack. The sun is just starting to rise. It's beautiful. The purple and dark blue slowly meld into the red, orange, and the soft yellow of the sun.

     "It's pretty," I dazeley mutter, in awe.

     All Mom does is smile in the rearview mirror. It's these little moments of joy that make me gain hope for the future. That I can smile about other things than dance. I keep looking at the sunrise. It's so beautiful.

     I watch as the sun gets higher and higher and the sky turns bluer and bluer until we reach the ALDC. The car ride was a blur. Seeing the bus makes me so excited. I'm going on a trip!

     Pressley runs out of the bus and endorphins fill my system. I quickly open the car door and leap out, running towards her. When we finally reach each other, we hug each other like we didn't just see each other yesterday.

     "Oh my gosh! I'm so excited! It's so lonely on the bus without you. Get your backpacks! Let's go!" Pressley says in such a fast tone, I'm taken aback.

     It takes a second to process in my mind before I answer, "Save me a seat!"

     I run to grab my electronics carry-on and the backpack full of human food, not liquid food, and I run onto the bus. It's just Press and I. Perfect! We get to pick our seats on the bus before anybody else.

     I get the window seat! I put on The Good Place on Pressley's computers, and Pressley and I connect our AirPods. Then I grab my laptop. I want to finish school early. I only have to finish the other four things I didn't do yesterday. Missouri State History, Coding, Health, and Science.

     "Which one should I start with?" I ask Pressley.

    "Missouri State. That one is fun and there's legitimately five lessons," Pressley answers, and Gia and Joanne get on the bus.

     "Nationals week!" Gia exclaims as she takes a seat right at the front.

     As much as I love Gia, her energy is too much for me right now. I open up Missouri State History. No kidding, the first assignment is to read about how the state was formed. Nothing else. It literally takes five minutes. And, as promised, 20% is done.

     "Dang. I may finish this on the bus ride if I get done with the other ones," I answer, and Pressley giggles.

     Brady, Paris, Sarah are the next ones. If Hannah doesn't get here soon, she's going to be replaced by Sarah out of Ms. Abby's anger. I try to take my mind off of it and I go to health. Oh boy. Caden told me this is where it gets weird. Ugh.

     The first lesson is how to find a reliable source for health. I'm always scared about health class. It looks innocent now, but there's always a triggering section about nutrition and what to cut out from your diet. But learning how to find a reliable source for health isn't that bad.

    Health this year is really repetitive. It's asking and confirming the same thing over and over again. But when it's over, not only am I 2.8% done with health, Ms. Abby and Ms. Gianna get on the bus right when I finish up the lesson.