03 | Human

~

~

~

"Never will I see inferior beings as something more than fuel..." I mumble to myself absentmindedly, not really focusing on anything except the creature and it's soft fur between my fingers. It has an almost therapeutic effect on me as I hug it to my side, listening to it's weird vibrations and purring sounds. Why is it clinging to me in the first place? It was the same with the other creature back at that disgusting swamp... Earth sure is odd.

"Hm... I hope humans aren't the same as these animals. I can't accept any more servants to my side- since they're a crucial part of the God Tree." I furrow my brows slightly as I cover my eyes with my sleeve, feeling quite lazy from the amount of meat I ate not too long ago.

My relaxation is though interrupted, when a silent rustling sound emits from somewhere behind me.

In a blink of an eye I twisted my body around and practically tore open the paper thin door to reveal who- or what was lurking there.

"A monster!" A small male human screamed in terror and I immediately recognised the language as Japanese; which I had carefully studied before arriving here.

Plunging into action, I stepped closer to the child and grabbed the back of his collar before he could run; lifting him up to dangle in front of my face.

"Monster?" I hummed in slight irritation as I ignored the child's panic and futile attempts to escape. Observing his clothing and demeanour- I came to a conclusion that he was but a mere peasant. Nothing flashy or overly threatening like some son of the clan leader would have been.

"Halt your movement human, you will not escape me." I muttered irritably and brought my face closer to his in intimidation. He is very small and light, thus pretty easy to hold in the air without tiring my arm. His eyes are filled with terror and tears as it seems my appearance scares him greatly.

It feels weird to speak their language, but I'll have to endure if I am to communicate with the rest of the earthlings and make my wishes clear. I spent all that time studying them... might as well utilise it.

"Please, don't h-hurt me!" He weeped desperately; submitting to his fate once realising that he indeed could not escape my grasp. I slightly smirked and pointed outside.

"Where are your people human child? Why are the streets empty?" I demanded with an authoritative voice, making him flinch and shakily hold the toy that resembled the creature on my shoulder.

"M-mommy l-left to say g-goodbye!" The child stuttered, confusing me greatly.

"Left to say goodbye? What is that supposed to mean... elaborate." I demanded, shaking him to get more information out. The child weeped louder due to my gesture and I realised that to make him speak, I needed a softer approach.

Sighing, I placed him down and closed the sliding door behind us to prevent escape. He looked up at me fearfully, but calmed down once I stopped being so rough with him. I then crossed my arms and raised a brow impatiently. "Well?"

"W-well... every month a new warrior leaves the village to go f-fight and protect us. When that happens, m-mommy and the others go say goodbye!" The child explains hastily with some minor difficulty.

I ponder his words until I remember something crucial from the countless scrolls and books that I read about human culture.

Human families very often consist of more than one child. If some of those children are male, they get sent to war whenever there is a need for such. Females more often stay behind to care for the family home and there is usually no choice in the matter- especially for those at the bottom of the clan.

My eyes then dart to the cracked, grey-coloured armour on the wall and the burnt-out candles in front of it on the floor. 'That is-!' 

Lips parting a little in shock, I realise that the younglings of this family must have already been sent away... and that armour used to belong to the boy's father; judging by it's large size.

My gaze falls back down to the child and a tinge of sadness washes over me as I feel great pity for the human. "I... see." I mumble and slowly bend down, gently raising my hand to his head and patting him with an attempt to offer some sort of comfort even though he did not ask for it.

'So small and innocent... he does not deserve such cruelty.. human or not'. I thought to myself as I felt the thin strands of blonde hair slipping through my fingers.

The male seems to stop crying completely as I flash him a smile and grab the creature on my shoulder- offering him to hold it. He looks at me hesitantly, but takes it into his arms before smiling and nuzzling his face into it's soft fur. "Your cat! Can I keep it?" He giggles,- making me raise my brows in surprise.

"To keep... my servant?" I repeat with a calm voice as I stare at him blankly, wondering what his intentions with the chubby cat could be. My eyes squint slightly upon deep thought as I scan the boy under my heavy gaze- peering far into his soul through those ocean blue eyes. 

For a moment I feel some sort of longing as I begin to reach for the cat- but it is quickly washed away by my duties and expectations as an Otsutsuki, so I retract the hand back with a confused shake of my head. 

The creature seems to be reluctant on staying in the boy's embrace; meowing desperately to get back to my side... but he seems to be a kind soul; thus a perfect fit to keep it. 

"I suppose it is fine... it's not like I have any attachment to it, so take good care of it boy." I huff coldly and slowly stand up, deciding to leave these people in peace.

Soon they will see a dream so beautiful, that they will never remember the cruelty that is their war ridden life.

I will make sure of it.

~

~

~

I'm sorry if the chapter was a bit confusing, I was writing it at 3 am yesterday.. ,:D Publishing chapters during this time is a bit hard, so I apologise for making you wait.

Vote & Comment <3