ii. "Meet Violet Evergarden"

It had been six months since the loss of the Major, and during that time, I stayed with Aunt a few towns over. Leiden's sun was exceptionally brighter than usual and the flowers that sit in baskets upon the lamps were very elegant in color. I stepped off of the carriage and walked a few steps before letting the ride go on without me. "Hey little sis," Claudia opened the door to his new shop. "Do you like it? CH Postal Company with the occupation of Auto Memory Dolls."

"I'll have to meet one of your Dolls someti-"

"Come on in, we're in business," he smiled. "I have a particular worker that I would love for you to meet. She's learned so fast and can write exceptional letters to anyone of your choosing," he stopped in his tracks.

"You know there is no one that I want to write to right now," I lowered my head. "But I would still love to meet her. Remember mom used to make us write letters all the time, and she always had me write to the Bou-" I caught myself. "To him and his family."

I can't even say Gilbert's name without making myself cry. My own travels didn't do me any good like I thought they would have. "For now, we will talk to Cattleya, our head Auto Memory Doll. She helped me start this business and gain some workers."

"I'm pleased to meet your sister Hodgins," a blacked haired woman spoke. Her dress was a bit flashy, but she was very beautiful, so I could see why she could pull something off like that. "You two look so much alike, are you two twins?"

"That would be calling Claudia young," I snickered. "He's an old goat, if you ask me."

"What?!" Claudia laughed. "Just because you're my little sister, doesn't mean you can call me old." He thought for a second. "Even though I was an adolescence when you were born."

"Wouldn't that make you old?" Cattleya piped up. "Surely a young woman wouldn't want an old goat!"

"They would, they would. I'm not that old!" He turned his head away. "Anyways, how are the girls, are they doing alright?" Claudia scratched the back of his head. "I'm worried they work themselves too hard."

"They are perfectly fine, and they work just fine. They get plenty of rest after writing all day and travels, I promise you that," Cattleya smiled. "Iris and Erica are still on their travel, but V-"

"She must be up in her room?" Claudia asked before Cattleya could finish.

"Yes. I told her to go rest since she has a job coming up tomorrow, and it's her day off."

"That's fine. Then we should go introduce you to Benedict?"

"Whatever you say, I'll do," I smiled. Even though I'm only returning for a short while, Claudia amazes me that he can make twenty minutes feel like forever. I'm grateful for a brother like him.

There was a boy, tall and lengthy, about to get onto a bike. "Blue!" Claudia waved. "Come meet my sister!"

And wearing heels? "Nice to meet you Ms. Hodgi-"

"Be polite."

"Lady Hodgins, I mean."

"It's nice to meet you, although you don't have to be so formal with me," I spoke. I've said this once before to someone I've met. Someone I will most likely never meet again. God only knows she was trying to protect my heart. "Uhm. If you don't want to, I mean."

"Well, if it's what the President wants, then it's what the President wants," Benedict smiled. "Especially if I want to be Vice President one day," he continued snickering.

"Why, you," Claudia seemed frustrated. But a playful frustrated. At least he had many people to keep him happy. "What's wrong?" Visible tears were traveling down my face. I tried to wipe them away, but they kept coming. "Is it.." I saw Claudia look behind me.

"Captain Dietfried?" I turned around to Gilbert's older brother.

"What the hell are you doing here?" He asked.

"Wh-what do you mean?"

"Captain," another voice intercepted the conversation that was about to happen between Dietfried and I. It was so familiar, I couldn't help but look, but her head was already looking down. "I will run as fast as I can to wherever my customer desires.  I am the Auto Memories Doll, Violet Evergarden," she curtsied.

"She's not a customer Violet," Claudia exclaimed, but before he could get her name out, I had already latched onto the girl.

"Violet, you're alive!" I cried.

"Yes." She paused. "Major told me to live, and I'll do whatever the Major orders me."

My grip grew tighter. "Violet, I don't think that he ordered you."

"Yes. The Major said 'I love you', and I want to know what it means."  I took a step back. "And what it meant by that he loved you and had to let you go."

Let me go? "I want to know too Violet."

"Yes. Lady (Y/N)."

"Because I love you and the Major very much Violet."

"Yes."