Dancing in the Moonlight

Start from the beginning

"What are you doing here?" She crosses her arms, scoffing lightly. Let's just say, there's a small past between the two of you.

Sighing through your nose, you have to refrain from rolling your eyes. "Well, anyone is invited, believe it or not, so..."

At your words, her expression darkens and you know she doesn't appreciate the sarcasm. You do though, as it at least offers you some sort of win between her.

Just as she opens her mouth to say something, her eyes dart over to the table behind you. Her eyebrows raise and the glint in her eye tells you she's up to no good.

"Whatever," she spits, stepping to the side and grabbing something from the table.

You let out a breath of relief at her passiveness, happy to avoid confrontation tonight. Stepping forward, you begin to walk away, only for Maria to walk out right in front of you once more, only this time, she carries a drink. You stumble back, and she dumps the liquid all over the front of your dress, acting like it was completely accidental.

"Oh my gosh, (Y/N), I'm so sorry! I wasn't paying attention, my bad."

Staring at your dress, your lips parted in shock, you find yourself wanting to do something, but you feel frozen. It takes you a few seconds to breathe again, before you shove your way out of the crowd. As you do, you can hear Maria laughing.

Tears sting your eyes from your mounting frustration. Doing your best to force it back, you make your way towards a back garden through the dark.

The music from the festival is still clear, and you decide to sit down on a small concrete-type bench, staring at the beautiful flowers, no doubt grown by Isabella herself. You take a few deep breaths, eventually calming down as you zone out. Of course, your day just had to get worse.

You look down at your hands, folded on your lap, fidgeting slightly. As you look back up, eyes drifting up towards the beautiful night sky, someone behind you speaks. "Hola."

The suddenness and close proximity makes you jump, and you whip around the face the person.

The guy offers you a smile, laughing during his apology. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

Relaxing once more, you give him a short nod before looking back up to the stars. "It's okay." You can feel his gaze lingering on you, but you don't glance at him, not feeling in the mood to talk.

"So, what's your name?" He asks after a moment, much to your displeasure.

You continue to stare at the sky, offering no sort of emotion through your answer. "(Y/N)."

Immediately, he notices your mood, and he sits down next to you. "What's wrong?" When he only receives silence, he questions again. "Is it why you're sitting out here instead of being at the festival?"

Your gaze flickers to meet his briefly, answering his question. Even though you don't want to talk, his company seems... inviting. "What's your name?"

You can almost hear his smile at you engaging in the conversation. "Camilo."

Upon hearing his name, you realize why his voice sounds so familiar. He's Camilo Madrigal. The shapeshifter.

"Why are you sitting out here?"

His persistence makes you want to be annoyed, but for some reason, you can't find yourself to be annoyed with him. He's only trying to help. Even so, you decide to not to answer. "I could ask you the same question."