Chapter 43: I am 48294

Start from the beginning

I became stiffened when she asked me about that. I took a deep breath before staring directly into her eyes.

A small smile appeared on my face. 

"A field trip with his cattle," I answered. 

Gillian tilted her head when didn't understand the context of my word, while Violet's eyes went wide. Violet grabbed my shoulder to make me face her direction.

"What do you mean?" Violet asked. 

My smile turned into a mysterious smirk.

"My connection with him is a bit complicated. He spoils me with his connections, but you could also say that I am his prey."

Violet and Gillian glanced at each other when they heard the word prey. Oliver, who was only listening to us, has finally reacted to my words.

Seeing their reactions, I silently unbuttoned the first button of my uniform as I grabbed my collar to show them the numbers on my neck.

That's right, this is my number.

I am 48294

"My name is Conny, I am 6 years old. I was a Premium Good from the Gracefield Orphanage," I re-introduced myself. "And as you can see, I know the truth."

After re-introducing myself, I quickly fixed myself before the other children saw the tattoo on my neck.

I was hoping that doing this could lower their wariness of me.

"Actually, I am now studying in the facility as my training. I became a Mom-in-training, a person who takes care of children until they turn 12." I paused. "You could notice that from my uniform..."

"I was sent to this place for my task, and that is to pick children that I can bring back with me... but don't worry, it's only actually a guise, I am here for a different reason." I took a deep breath. "I am looking for something."

My eyes went wide when someone picked me up. The next thing I know is I was being carried in someone else's arms.

My mouth gapped when I realized who picked me. I blinked twice while I am staring at his face as I tilted my head in confusion.

Oliver?

"Selecting merchandise and auction," The man carrying me suddenly reacted. I could read the grudge from his face when he mentioned the poachers. "I heard it from you when you were talking with the poachers."

I remained silent when Oliver said that.

"I don't get it at all but I am certain that it's the same thing when children are being hunted here to be eaten. The only difference is they will be auctioned before they have the same fate as the other dead children."

"It's funny how they treated the lives of those innocent children." 

I couldn't find words when Oliver gritted his teeth. They must be thinking that I am a monster for doing this type of task, but I am also trying my best to prevent it.

His eyes went to me. 

"And you, despite being a child, and despite knowing what it means to do as they told..." He paused before taking a deep breath. "You're still trying to survive."

I became speechless when he suddenly said that. Contrary to what I imagined, it seems like he is pitying me instead?

I glanced at Violet and Gillian, they also had the same expression on their faces.

"Huh?" I mumbled.

Not wary anymore?

"They send a six-year-old child for that kind of mission..." He stated to me with a serious face. "I can tell that you're not a normal child, but even if you are different from the other children, you're still a child."

I made a confused face when Oliver patted my back.

What is he doing?

"It must be hard for you. Y/N."

Eh?

EHHHH?!

I pushed my hands on his shoulder before I stared at him with wide eyes. I was touched when he said that, but he suddenly call me using my previous' life name! That shocked me to the core!

"M-My name is Conny! I am Conny!" I shouted while correcting him. 

My face turned red when he suddenly smiled at me.

N-no way! Why are you smiling like that?!

"Your original name is Y/N, correct?" He asked me.

"No! It's Conny!" I denied.

I didn't even tell Ray my previous name! Not even Phil or the other children! 

How could I even blurt it out here?!

"But that's what you told us when he asked for your name a while ago, How can you mistake your own name? That's dumb." Violet mentioned. "I'm suspecting that the so-called facility changed your name into Conny."

This is a misunderstanding!

"N-No my name is---"

"Let's continue to talk to that place, that person must be waiting for us."

•••••••••

Bayon's Manor

"I heard that Lerin brought a child, where is she?"

"Don't even bother, Luce, that little girl is my servant's prey, you can't touch her," Leuvis warned the Demon. "You cannot steal his prey."

He elegantly crossed his legs while playing with Palvus who was on his shoulder. The monkey-like Demon giggled at his Master's actions.

"Hundreds of years had passed and you still favor Lerin. No wonder why the other nobles think that Lerin is your son," Nouma, a black-colored demon with a humanoid body commented. "This is the reason why Lerin grew up full of himself."

The Demon raised a glass of wine before glancing at her brother.

"Hmm, I could actually see the resemblance of personality between them." Nous, Nouma's brother stated. "I'll be deceived if I didn't know where Lerin really came from. Have you decided to take him as your successor?"

"Not even in millenia," Leuvis denied. His slender hand took a glass of wine from the table. "I won't give my title to a fool who's a disgrace to me. I gave up to comprehend his foolish mind. He even took a child in this territory."

Leuvis glanced behind his back when he heard a familiar footsteps.

"My Lord, you are rude to your loyal servant," Lerin laughed as he sat beside his master. "I only brought my cattle to a field trip. Don't you find it amusing?"

Leuvis ignored Lerin.

"Speaking of cattle, did you leave the child in that place?" Nouma asked while staring at Lerin. "I am curious. I heard that you went there without the three of us." Nouma emphasizes her last words.

"My Fair Lady Nouma," Lerin smiled showing his sharp teeth. His eyes went to the dish that was placed on their table. "Indeed, I left her there. I can't bring her here when we are eating her own kind. That won't help to cultivate her brain."

"Hearing that from you, it seems like that child is delicious," Luce commented while eating his food. "Can I see her?"

"You can't, Lord Luce," Lerin told him with a serious voice.

Nouma smirked.

"Still amusing as ever," she mumbled while she's shaking her head. 

"Are you not afraid of the consequences of your actions, Lerin? I heard that the child was a student under Ratri's facility. The Grand duke won't help you if you caused big trouble."

Nouma glanced at the quiet Duke who was playing with the monkey-like Demon.

Lerin shrugged his shoulder with a mysterious smile on his face. "I've been hunting for my perfect food," He answered.

"I will steal if I have to."

Leuvis let out a smirk.