chapter 14: Suabir has to go

15th February, 2022

Happy new year to you all, i hope you accomplish a lot this year . May your dreams come true ❤️

Time passed . One second at a time. it felt extremely slow but the time everyone was waiting for eventually arrived. The winner for the annual Kid genius competition will be announced soon. I looked at the audience, there were students and teachers from the various participating schools waiting to jubilate. I looked at my teacher, she smiled with hopeful eyes just like mom's. I took a deep breath and prayed silently ..Ya Rabb , if winning this contest is good for me make me Victorious if otherwise restore me abundantly.

Shortly after, the coordinator together with some people whom i thought were important stood on the stage with parcels and certificates . All those who participated were give certificate and i felt accomplished for that . At least our efforts were duly appreciated even if we didn't emerge winners.

Lisa was awarded a bronze medal . She looked happy , her expression was that of content. She was a brilliant one and i respect her ability as woman . Not every girl was like that at least she didn't spend all her time thinking about Barbie and wearing pink like my dear lateefa , she worked hard and infact i think woman are capable too, society is wrong for thinking they are weak. That's a myopic way of thinking, oh society!

Paul and i were called up . The coordinator explained that he shall raise the winner's hand. We all nodded in unison. I began to sweat . I didn't even know why i held my breath . The coordinator kept messing around and i wanted to scream at him "can you just do it already "  . Suddenly, i felt my hands pulled up high , the crowd roared in excitement , i was too shocked to stand still . I took a step back and held  the counter tightly . This time i couldn't stop the tears from falling .

Stand up, stand up, for the champion .. stand up, Stand up, stand up , for the champion stand up . While the music played, a golden buzzer Sprung from God knows where , covering myself and everyone below the stage in gold stuff.
I received my award with my teacher and we headed outside for interviews . The ceremony finally came to an end and we headed for our waiting bus to return to school. Cheerful songs were sung , drums were played and i was just being pushed here and there .

To say i was excited will be an understatement. I was highly elated but i didn't stop crying. All i thought about was my mom . How could I leave her. I knew i was too young to understand what a decade meant but i knew it was going to be a long time . This scholarship couldn't be given to anyone i would have given it out . I wanted to be with my mom no matter what . What if they take me away and i never see her again .. what if he comes to trouble her ....

Suabir! Suabir!
What are you thinking about? I have been calling you ! There i woke up from my day dream and turned to look for the voice owner . Lo and behold , it was my beautiful mom. I immediately jumped into her arms not willing to let go.

Suabir, relax ..do you want to suffocate me ? I am so proud of you my boy , you really did it for you , your family and the school as well. Everyone is happy ..

I looked at her without saying a word ..

Are you not happy?
Look Nazeeha and the kids are here too .

Who wouldn't be happy with such an achievement mom, i don't want to go away . I will miss you all . Is there a way that i don't go? I really want to stay with you.

Let's go home first , i will explain everything.

Are you going to send me away ? Do you not love me anymore?

Allah knows i love you with everything i have , why wouldn't i , you're my biggest strength and i am equally sad that you're about to leave us but it's something that you have to do , so you become great. Didn't you always say you wanted to protect me? How will you do that if you don't study hard ? Are you going back on your words ?