"I—" my mouth opens and I stop myself, taking a deep breath and looking back up to meet Zayn's concerned brown eyes. "I was in the van, and two of those masked people came in before I could do anything. I—I couldn't warn you guys because I was being held down...then, they dug the knife into my hip."

Zayn's face fell into an expression I couldn't pinpoint. He seemed overtaken by genuine bewilderment.

"What—what the fuck? Why didn't you say anything?" his head shakes.

"They told me they'd kill me and anyone who found out..." my voice trembles.

He blinks a few times and he looks down with parted lips and narrowed brows as if he was trying to piece this all together. His hand runs through his hair.

"So...you didn't actually mess up the mission..." he says quietly, regretfully.

I shake my head slowly.

I watch him as he inhales sharply through his nose and just shakes his head before grabbing me and pulling me in for a hug.

His arms wrap around my back and he holds me tightly, the smell of cigarettes and fresh cologne filling my senses.

"I'm so fucking sorry."

I blink a couple times, taken aback as I slowly hug him in return. "It's okay—"

I feel his head shake on my shoulder. "No. You were blamed for something that wasn't your fault. It's not okay."

I shut my eyes. Honestly, hearing those words was validating, and it made the guilt and pain I've felt in the bottom of my stomach ease.

I hug him tighter, hopefully telling him what that meant to me in a nonverbal way.

"I'm gonna go talk to Harry." he says.

My brows furrow as my eyes open. I pull back. "Why?"

"The way he yelled at you after that happened...after what you went through. He owes you an apology, so he needs to know what really happened."

Oh shit.

Zayn begins to walk away and my instinct told me to stop him. I snap my hand around his wrist, pulling him back in. He turns to face me with furrowed brows, confused as to why I wasn't letting him go.

"Wh—"

"Don't bring it up to Harry...please." I murmur.

He tilts his head, feeling puzzled. "Why not?"

"I just don't want any drama." I partially lie.

Zayn looks me up and down, then shakes his head. It's like he saw right through me, because I knew he knew that I was lying.

"No, that's not it. Tell me the real reason." his voice gets quieter.

Looking up at him, I exhale through my nose with my teeth clenched behind my lips. The last thing I want to do is possibly start something between the two of them.

I open my mouth, sighing through my lips and then closing my eyes to gather my words before speaking them.

"He knows already.." I mumble.

Immediately, Zayn's confusion turns into something else, and I didn't know what it was. All I know is that I see his face fall.

"What." he mutters. "He knows? What the fuck do you mean?" his voice begins to raise and I grip his arm to stop him.

"He walked in on me trying to clean my wound. I didn't plan on showing him." I admit.

"He knew you got hurt and he didn't tell anyone else?" Zayn speaks. There's bite behind his voice, he seems angry.