Illusions blind us

It all started when Tom felt the first drop of fleshly used ink being dropped on one of the pages. And then another and another until words began to be created, one by one, slowly.

It was a child's writing, that was for sure. It was a messy handwriting trying to pass off as cute.

Ah. So a girl it is then. A witch, for he had felt her magic through the pages.
A Ginny... Weasley.
Huh. A Gryffindor. Did he know any Weasleys when he was still attending Hogwarts? Tom cannot really recall. He never paid much attention to the Gryffindors.
Perhaps... yes. Yes, that boy, Septimus, was her grandfather.
So he asks Ginevra about it and she confirms that this young boy with the hair as red as carrots and the freckles all over his face and neck was, in fact, an ancestor of hers.

Weird. How many years have passed since he had trapped a soul piece inside the journal?

Ginerva makes the calculations and writes to him 'It's been fifty years. You must feel really old'.

Cheeky little girl. He likes her. A little. When she doesn't complain about her abnormally large family, that is. Cause when she does, it's a true nightmare. Tom can die of boredom at moments like these.

But then in the middle of her first year around January Ginevra mentions a name. A very interesting name - of another child, no less. A child barely a year older than her that was supposed to be Lord Voldemort's demise.

Harry Potter.

The little red haired girl was infatuated with him, described him as this amazing hero who somehow saved everyone (despite literally being a one year old infant). Right. Tom doesn't believe that for a second.

So he asks more about the parents. Tells the girl that it would be a funny little project if she were to find more information on them. Ginny agrees. No one knew much about the Potters. Most of the books were vague about the pair of them.
He advises her to ask Minerva McGonagall since she is the head of the house of Gryffindor. Foolish little thing that she is she says yes. A week later he has his answers.

'Maybe I shouldn't have pressured her so much, Tom.' Ginny writes and he can feel her guilt and worry sipping through the pages within which he is stuck. 'She started crying near the end of her descriptions. Said she missed them.'

Tom wonders how it feels like for a professor to miss an old student.
No one will surely miss him. No one ever did, even after he was locked in there. No one searched for the book, no one ever opened it. He feels a pang of jealousy along with that thought.

'It's only natural to cry upon being reminded of beloved memories of people we lost, Gin.' He writes back to her, hoping this would ease her out of her guilt so he could learn more.

'Yeah, I guess so.' She replies.

'So why don't you tell me more about James and Lily Potter? They sound like they were very exciting sort of people.'

'Oh, they were.' Tom feels Ginny's mood elevating quickly after this.
'Professor McGonagall said that James Potter would get in all sorts of trouble all the time with his friends, much like Harry does now, and Lily Evans would try to cover for him. They have always liked each other, even though Harry's mum didn't date him until seventh year when he matured a lot more. They were bound to fall for each other eventually. She said that both of them were powerful, among her best students. Lily was a Potions prodigy, despite her muggleborn heritage, while James was an ace at Transfiguration. I mean, no wonder Harry loves Defense so much. Both of his parents excelled at it.'

Tom is honestly intrigued by this little resume.

'Harry likes Defense?' He writes and the letters are bit too rushed, not as elegant as his usual responses.