Chapter Twenty-Seven

It was as if the air had suddenly cooled. The cheerful mood disappeared and Bruno stood up. "Excuse me?" he asked.

"Why didn't you tell the residents their future? I've been getting complaints I'm not particularly happy about, Bruno. You should do your job first and then have fun!"

"Mamá, I told you I didn't want to use my gift anymore."

"Bruno, it's not about what you want," Mamá looked at him sternly. "It's about you sanctifying our miracle and showing yourself recognisable to the village!"

"My gift does not make me happy, Mamá," Bruno's voice trembled and he slowly walked out of the water. "It makes me sad - angry ..."

"You have no reason to be angry," Mamá snorted.

"I have every right to be angry!" retorted Bruno. He clenched his hands into fists and tried to swallow his anger. But he did not succeed.

"Why can't you listen to me for once!"

"Oh, I'm listening to you," Mamá replied angrily. "I hear very clearly how you tell me that you don't care about our family!"

It did not occur to Bruno how the inhabitants of Encanto slowly withdrew. Unlike Adella, they had a lot of respect for Mamá and didn't want to come across as if they were eavesdropping.

"I care about our family!" thundered Bruno. "I love our family. I only want what's best for us - but that's not possible if you don't want what's best for me!"

"Everything I've done in my life," Mamá's voice grew soft but sharper. "I have done for you! I have built this village for you. I have taught you in your gifts so that you can show your gratitude! So that all this would not be in vain! What would only your father think of you if he heard you here, Bruno?"

Bruno didn't know exactly what Mamá was trying to achieve. Was she trying to reel him in so that he would end up thinking it was all his fault after all? He wasn't sure, but he knew she was well on her way.

"You got your gift for a reason," Mamá continued to talk. "The candle, our miracle, chose you for it. I raised you for this. I'm just trying to protect our family. To show that we deserve our second chance - but you make it so hard!" she threw her hands in the air and gestured wildly. "How can anyone be as useless as you?"

Bruno's throat felt constricted. No mother should ever say such a thing to her child. Tears filled his eyes and he bit the inside of his cheeks to keep from crying. "I don't like being around you," he said softly but firmly. "'Cause, it makes me feel bad. You make me feel bad. You're a bad mother."

Various emotions stood out in seconds on Mamá's face; confusion, anger, hurt, sadness. He saw that she too was close to tears. "Bruno, you misunderstood-"

"No, I didn't."

"I just- I just want you to be happy. That you have a good life-"

"Then why don't you let me have a good life?!" cried Bruno. He walked out of the lake and wanted to run past his Mamá, but she held onto his arm:

"Why don't you just let me take care of you, Pedro?" she cried, crying.

Bruno stared at her. "Pedro," he repeated softly. He released his arm from her grip and slowly backed away. "Pedro," he whispered as he turned and ran away.

"Bruno!" cried Mamá after him. "If you just leave now - avoid your family and your destiny - then ... then you are dead to me!"

Bruno stopped. He turned to her and looked deadly serious into her face. "I wish I was dead!" he hissed and ran away.