Chapter Thirteen

"If personality is an unbroken series of successful gestures, then there was something gorgeous about him." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

     "Well, Debbie and Trevor Vanmeter didn't move far," Ruby said. 

     It was Monday morning back at the office and we were all gathered around her desk, watching her click on an address that had popped up on her computer screen. 

     "They live on Blackberry Lane here in Darkwood Falls.  Well, it's under Debbie's name.  I don't know if Trevor lives with her or not.  I guess they just wanted to get out of that house because of bad memories." 

     "Blackberry Lane?  That's only about ten minutes from the house we investigated.  That's not too far," Brandon said. 

     "So, we have to go and try to convince these people their dead-husband-slash-father wants to speak to them?  I'm sure that will be easy," I said. 

     "Yeah, it's never really an easy task.  It's usually the worst part of our job," Brandon told me. 

     "Why?" 

     "Because not only do they not believe us, but we also get cursed at," Nick said. 

     "I already do that to you every day," I joked. 

     He smirked, "Yeah, well, they aren't as creative as your insults.  I've also had things thrown at me." 

     "Someone tried to punch me one time," Axl said, swinging his fist to give us all a visual presentation. 

     "Someone did punch me," Richard said. 

     "It's not a competition," Axl said, frowning. 

     "Why do they get so mad?" I asked. 

     "They think we're playing some sick joke on them," Brandon explained.  "Think about it; this time last week, would you have believed someone was talking to your. . . " Brandon stopped abruptly as I flashed him a warning look not to continue his sentence.   What my cousin was about to bring up was not something I wanted to talk about, let alone share with people I didn't know that well.  Axl, Nick, and Ruby looked at us curiously.  Richard shifted uncomfortably and looked away. 

     "Sorry, I just mean. . . " Brandon went on, his face turning a light shade of red, "most people won't believe it.  It pisses them off to think some random stranger is messing with them about their loved one's death." 

     There was silence for a moment, as the others were still looking between Brandon and myself.  I knew they were trying to figure out that small exchange between us. 

     "Not it!" Axl said, suddenly breaking the tension. 

     "Me either!" Ruby said, her eyes widening.  "I already looked up the address.  I've done my good deed for the day." 

     "Looking up an address is a good deed?" Axl said, leaning across Ruby's desk to get in her face.  "I've got a few good deeds you can do."

     Ruby opened her mouth to retort by Richard cut her off,  "Guys. . ."

     "I'll do it," I volunteered. 

     They all turned to look at me.  

     "Not the Axl-good-deed.  Gross," I said, watching Axl's hopeful look disappear as quickly as it came.  "I mean I'll go talk to the family.   The whole group shouldn't have to go.  That might be too overwhelming for them, anyway.  I feel like I should be the one to do this.  I'm the new girl."