Chapter 49: The Battle

Start from the beginning

Boba finally speaks up with a question of his own. "For now?"

Fennec focuses on him. "We wait." You hold back a sigh. You've always hated the waiting game.

A sudden shuffle at the door alerts the group, though Din's the first to react with a quick draw of his blaster. A droid walks in and turns to Boba. "Lord Fett? There is someone here to see you."

You set your hand over the one Din's kept on his propped-up leg. His helmet turns to look at you while you urge him to lower his blaster. "I don't think the droid's a threat." Your voice is low and soft.

Meanwhile, Boba turns to look at Fennec. "I thought you said nobody could sneak up on us."

Fennec's gaze lowers, embarrassed. You and Din exchange a glance as he holsters his blaster. Boba leads the way out and you and Din follow Fennec to conceal yourselves behind two of the Sanctuary's columns. You and Din share one and keep yourselves hidden while you watch the scene unfold.

Standing many meters away is a Duros whose face hides underneath the shadow of a wide-brimmed hat. It's easy to conclude they're a bounty hunter of some sort. Din pulls you closer to his side and you furrow your brow at him. He speaks to you in a low voice. "Cad Bane."

Your eyes double in size. The name is one you're familiar with. It worked as a threat when you were on the run from bounty hunters during the war. They would tell you how lucky you were that they weren't Cad Bane, and you heard enough stories about his ruthlessness to keep you awake at night. He was your worst fear for many years, and now he's standing right in front of you. "I've... heard of him." You reach for Din's hand and he offers it to you without hesitation.

Din's helmet turns to look at you. "Should I be gunning him down right now?"

You shake your head. "He was just a threat. We never met."

Din nods and turns back to view the scene. "Good."

You turn your attention back to Boba, who's stepped out to face Cad Bane with his weapon secured in front of him. "I thought I smelled something."

No response. You swallow hard.

"If you're looking for a job, you're late."

Bane tilts his head and speaks in a voice so low and threatening it makes you reach for your blaster before you even hear what he has to say. "I've already got a job. I'm here to negotiate on behalf of the Pyke Syndicate."

Figures. Boba seems to echo your thought. "I don't negotiate with gutless murderers."

Bane scoffs. "If that's not the Quacta calling the Stifling slimy."

Boba remains unfazed. "Clear out. And tell your bosses we know they're outnumbered."

Bane waits a moment before he offers his reply. "I wouldn't be counting on the people of Freetown to be coming anytime soon."

You share a nervous look with Din. Your heart begins to race as you take a firm grip on your blaster.

"I paid Marshal Vanth a visit. You should've never left him without his armor."

Your eyes squeeze shut as you release a tight exhale. Your chest flares with the burning aches of guilt and despair. Cobb's dead—and you and Din are the ones who got him involved in the first place. You remember Zora's fussiness when you left Cobb and Freetown. She was trying to warn us. You reopen your eyes when you hear Din click his blaster and aim at Bane around the post. You do the same on the other side.

"Before you get any ideas, I've got back shooters too." You tighten your jaw when a few Pykes appear from rooftops behind Bane. "You should tell yours that the streets of Tatooine are no place for a child."