Chapter 1

The Beginning

You looked upon yourself.

Your eyes locked with shining rays of light, almost blinding you. You immediately closed them to make the pain go away, and put a hand on them, resting.

...why were you there again?

...oh, that's right.

You fell there like an idiot after you went sent there to conduct some researches.

And the worst thing was that you could even see the hole at your feet, but nooo, for the sake of science and research you approached the hole a lot more than you should have had. Afterwards you fell while walking near the hole, and now you found yourself on that field of yellow flowers called buttercups.

You rested there, catching your breath after the fall. Luckily you didn't show any external or internal damage, so at least you prevented a broken bone, or worse, a broken neck.

With the smell of flowers and pollen in your nose, you groogily stood up, emitting a groan.

Well, even if the flowers prevented your death, it still hurt. Pain shot through your spine, you put an arm behind your back, trying to suffocate the pain.

"It shouldn't be anything bad or unfixable...I can easily stand up after all"

You looked around yourself to see a door in the darkness behind you, where the rays of light could not go.

"Well...at least I know for sure that no one's here to attack me" you said to yourself

The monsters had returned to the surface by a year now after all. Still, at first there were controversies and critics but in the end humans and monsters managed to coexist peacefully.

You walked (with some difficulties due to your back) towards the door.

You were met with a dark, purple ambience, with a weird simbol in front of you, a...circle with wings and under it three triangles? You didn't really know what it could mean.

...

You exited the purple environment after finding a sort of house at the end of it. It was nice and cozy, and you even got the chance to actually rest, since you previously found a room (probably for kids, as there were toys and childish drawings there).

You found yourself in a snowy forest. Luckily you had your coat on so you didn't actually feel the cold, but still, if you wouldn't have moved around you could have still felt some shivers down your spine.

After walking for a while you met a station and...there was someone.

Were there actually monsters that resented and blamed humans for the war so much that they didn't want to go up there, on the surface?

It was totally understandable to hold a grudge against humanity, as they were the ones that started the war and obliged monsters to go into the Underground.

On your guard, you approached it, to see that it was a wolf monster, smoking some kind of weed that resembled the shape of a bone.

You stopped there. He didn't seem to notice you though, and he kept smoking.

"Excuse m-"

It was almost liked the sound of your voice awakened something in him, and he immediately prepared to attack.

"UH?! WHAT'S THERE? I can only see things that move!" he almost yelled.

Shocked, you even held your breath, making sure that you didn't move.

Suddenly, a voice in your mind said to pet the wolf monster.

"...what?!" you said to yourself.

But subconsciously, you were already petting the wolf's head, and he...looked entertained by it?

He quickly disappeared under the cabin to smoke again and you were left there, disbeliefed.

You made a few steps and then you heard the wolf monster say something.

"Ha, who am I kidding, everyone's there on that shitty surface..."

You couldn't help but feel a little guilty for this last statement. Every monster wished to be on the surface, but some of them, like the wolf, chose to stay down there. To stay away from your kind.

You kept walking until you reached a city called...Snowdin.

What a banal name.

You walked through the city and noticed an open restaurant, called Grillby's.

Curious, you decided to enter.

It had a warm atmosphere, orange walls greeting you and candles as lamps that made you look up to the ceiling.

"Oh, hello there, a customer after some time"

You turned your head in direction of the sound, and saw a fire like monster behind the counter. Judging from him being the only presence there, you assumed he was Grillby.

Hopefully he didn't despise humans as well...

"Uhm...h-hi"

The monster, noticing the distance you put purposely between the two of you, chuckled and with his hand motioned you to come over, as if nothing was wrong.

"Would you like something to eat?" he asked in a gentle manner.

You sat down, and mentally thought about what to order

"...f-fries please" you asked, stuttering.

You could tell he was slightly smiling, even though the only thing you could see on his face was fire.

"Coming right up"

Three minutes later, you had your fries, and started to slowly eat them.

"May I ask why you fell in this place, even though there's no one here anymore except for...well, me and some other people?" he asked, breaking the silence.

You quickly explained that you were a scientist and that you were sent on Mt. Ebbott to investigate if there's something that actually attracted people to climb up there and that like a fool you fell there.

He laughed a little, making you feel at ease. He didn't show any hostility.

"Are you feeling better now that you've eaten?"

"Yeah, a lot, thank you" you smiled back.

"I'm Grillby by the way" he said, offering you his hand.

You glanced at his hand doubtful, and you heard him chuckle.

"You don't have to worry, it isn't real fire, so it won't hurt you"

This reassured you, and you grabbed his hand.

"I'm Y/N" you answered.

You talked a little about yourselves when you asked him why was he still there and not on the surface.

He looked down at his hands, coming up with an answer.

"I guess you could say I grew up affectionate to this place, even though I could easily build a new one on the surface it wouldn't be the same"

You nodded, but as you were about to say something you immediately shut yourself up, because he didn't look like he finished talking.

"Also because...he's watching"