chapter 9

Sobs fill the room-Gregory clenching onto the fabric of your clothes as he sobbed. On the other side of the room were Leah's friends and brother, crying on each others shoulders.

You stood silently in front of the hospital bed with your eyes glued on the lifeless body that lay before you.

Your aunt, and bestest friend, Leah.

Rage had engulfed your body the moment you saw her like this. You had so many people to blame. So much.. hatred. Leah died and her family didn't even bother to visit. They never cared.

"My.. poor leah.." you quietly choked out, tears running down your cheeks.

.

.

.

"No! Go wash your hands first!" You and gregory would bicker, his grubby little bacon hands trying to fight you for the Nintendo.

"Auuuuntyy!" You both cried, your aunt rushing into the room in a panic. Though, her worries were set to ease when she saw you two arguing as you normally do.

"Heavens, what's wrong now?"

"Gregory is being a grubby little shi-," your words are cut off as Gregory shoves you and covers your mouth with his bacon hands. Gross.

"Aunt! She won't share the game!" You then shove Gregory away, the two of you going back to your little argument.

Meanwhile, your aunt stood with a patient smile on her face, shaking her head.

"Haaah.. kids.."

.

.

.

You slowly make your way around the bed.

"May you rest in peace aunt Leah." You whisper, gently moving your hand over her face to close her eyes. Letting in a deep breath through your nose, you hear gregory call out to you through choking sobs.

"Y/n.." The boy walks over and hugs you. You wrap your arms around him and comfort the child until he falls asleep from the crying.

You felt so.. empty.

You look down at Gregory's hand. A few plasters covering his hands and fingers.

.

.

.

"Yo, greg. Didn't you say your ball needed to get pumped up?" The neighbors kid, aka your nephews friend, asked. Gregory sat on their couch, gaming away on the xbox.

"Oh yeah!"

"Can you go get it? We're leaving early tomorrow so mom said for you to go get it if you wanted to play basketball at the park tomorrow."

"And go through the dark?.." Gregory shivered.

"Yeah! What? You scared?"

"No.."

...

Gregory used his flashlight to guide his way through the dark, picking up his basketball in the backyard. That's when he heard faint ringing sounding through the open kitchen window.

Quickly, the boy scurried over to the back door and opened it with the spare keys y/n had given him a while ago.

"Hello? Gregory speaking!"

"Ah, Gregory? Is that you, bud?"

"Uncle Smith! Hello!"

"Yes, yes, hello Gregory. Where is your cousin y/n?" The doctor's voice was rather serious. Which seemed odd to Greg since he was normally playful when speaking to him.

"She's at work. Why?"

The doctor fell silent for a while, before speaking up.

"Sigh.. I didn't want to be the one to break this to you, kid.. but Leah.. has passed away."

The child, in shock, loses his balance and steps backwards, dropping the phone, his back hitting the counter behind him. A glass cup falls from the edge and smashes against the kitchen tiles, making the boy flinch away.

He hurriedly bends down, shakily trying to pick up the pieces of shattered glass.

"Ow!" A shard cuts at his hand and he drops the pieces, backing up against the kitchen wall.

The child cried alone in the kitchen that day. You came home the next morning to see him passed out on the couch with his legs hanging over the edge.

After covering him with a blanket, you saw your now cracked phone sitting on the coffee table, a bandaid plastered on the cracks.

Praying that it still worked, you opened your phone to see many missed calls from Dr. Smith. Leah's personal doctor. Does this mean she's okay now?

"You have 16 missed calls from ' doctor smith '" a notification read. They were at around 9 o'clock last night.

Checking the phone-call history, you called him back.

.

.

.

"Come here Gregory!" You called out, dressed in a raincoat with your keys in hand. It was pouring hard outside.

The pitter patter of your nephew's feet were heard as he rushed down the stairs and to your side. He gave you a biiiig hug, making a small smile pull at your lips.

"You ready, birthday boy?" You said, ruffling the kid's hair before pulling his hood over to cover his head.

"Mhm!"

You are now 18, going onto 19. Leah's death was over half a year ago, and although you and Gregory seem okay now, there's no way that the two of you have fully recovered from the mourning of your lovely aunt.

You open the front door and playfully push the boy out, locking said door behind you before heading for the car.

.

.

.

Pulling into the parking lot, you turned off the engine and looked at gregory through the rear view mirror. He was excitedly bouncing around in his seat with a little lollipop stick in his mouth.

"Alright bacon fingers, you ready?"

"I'm ready, now let's go!"

With that, you two got out of the car and went on your way to enter the pizzaplex.

.

.

.

"Y/n! Look!" The boy pointed at the large freddy fazbear plush behind the counter, his other hand pressed against the edge of the counter as he jumped up and down.

"Okay, okay, I gotcha. Let's try hard then, alright?"

Gregory nodded, watching as you paid for the faz coins. You handed them to him and gently pushed him in the direction of the arcade machines. He looked back at you, only for you to smile at him and gently nudge him forward.

"Go choose a game for us to play already kid."

His eyes lit up at the mention of 'us'. That meant you were going to hang out with him on the machines too, which filled the boy with glee.

You were too busy to hang out with him most of the time, and always had him be babysat at home or by his uncle.

.

.

.

You give the boy a gentle kiss on his head as you tuck him into bed.

"Goodnight gregory.." you whisper, turning off the lamp and walking out of the room.

The moment the door clicked shut, you frowned, taking out the scrunched up sticky notes in your pocket.

Loan sharks.

[ unedited ]