Chapter Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

A few minutes later Matt showed up and she began to cry into his shoulder. An hour after that I drove Matt home, then went to pick up Alice and Kylie who had had dinner with their Uncle. On the drive back to my house my phone began to ring. I groaned as the caller ID flashed my Brother's name.

Nik

"Kylie, get that, will you sweetheart." The young girl grinned, happy to help as she answered my phone.

"Niki!" She beamed as she read his name. I heard a laugh in the background, more like a snort that I almost could have thought belonged to Kol. But he was still daggered.

"Hello, Kylie." Klaus' voice held an equal amount of amusement and embarrassment. "Is Abbe there?"

"Yeah, but she's driving so she can't talk." I could practically feel Klaus rolling his eyes at that, after all, we're vampires.

"Well, then. Why don't you ask her to make a little stop at my place? I have a surprise for her." Klaus' requests and I sigh.

"Please, Abbe!" Kylie pleads, despite not understanding the supernatural world, the human child had somehow taken to my supernatural abilities with eagerness. She knew I could hear the phone call. I nodded 'yes' to her. The girls weren't tired in the least and I knew Alice would be all over my Brother's mansion, she wanted to be an interior designer.

"She said YES!" Kylie grinned, they exchanged a few more words before Klaus hung up. I changed direction, despite being only a few lots away from my house.

"Niklaus!" I called as I stepped inside, I'd opted for Kylie and Alice to stay in the car until I knew what Klaus' surprise was.

"In here." I heard him respond, I muttered a few profanities about him before opening the double doors to what I believe was the dining room. My eyes widened as I took in the group in front of me. I noticed immediately that there was a divide, unsurprisingly, between Klaus and the rest of my family.

"It's been a while, Little Sister." A large smile spread across my face as I sped to Kol and engulfed him in a hug.

"I have to say, I'm feeling a little left out." Rebekah pouts as Kol and I pull away from our hug. I still keep a strong grasp on my Brother's shirt, as if he could disappear.

"Myself as well." Finn chuckles, I grin at them but do not move. They understood, they all did. Kol was the person who had taken care of me since birth and he was the one I had come to know as my rock.

Kol grinned at me before looking at Klaus and glaring. "Now, let's get started. Shall we?" I grew confused until I saw the looks of anger my siblings all bore towards Klaus, and I tensed. I'd figured they'd already finished the yelling, after all, it was clear Klaus had been stabbed with the silver daggers before my arrival. I grimaced as Rebekah threw a vase at the wall, shattering it.

"I like what you've done with the place Nik." She said sarcastically.

"I wanted it to be for all of us. A place we could all call home. A place for us to be a family." Klaus spoke, he looked at the ground. I could hear the true sincerity in his voice as he explained. "None of us would ever have to be alone again." He looked me in the eye when he said that and I glared at him.

"Well, you're right," Elijah spoke up, I looked at him quizically. My half-siblings shared a look and my dead heart stopped. "None of us will be."

"You're staying behind." Finn agreed.

"We're leaving you, Nik." Rebekah added. "Right after I kill that Doppelganger wench. Then you will be alone. Always and Forever." My eyes stung as she said that, using our promise to each other against him.

"If you run," Klaus hissed, "I will hunt all of you down." Klaus then looked at me, he glared as if to accuse me of planning this. "I've done it before, our Little Sister knows first hand."

"What?" Kol hissed, wrapping his arm around me, and I could see equal shock on the faces of Rebekah and Finn. Elijah ignored them and continued his calculated jabs at Klaus.

"If you do then you will become everything you hate. Our Father."

"I'm a hybrid! I can't be killed!" Klaus screamed at us, I shrunk back into Kol as the screaming continued.

I squeezed my eyes shut as Kol, Elijah, Finn and Rebekah took turns in the streaming fight with Klaus. He was a seething-calm as the next words exited his mouth. "You're plan is flawed, Elijah! Even if you leave, Abbe would never abandon the Salvatore boy, nor her werewolf pet and his sisters." Klaus smirked evilly as all eyes turned on me. Their anger, having yet to cool off, was still fiery in their gazes as I flinched back.

Kol and Rebekah seemed to realize and they both attempted to calm down as Finn looked away. Elijah though seemed to become even angrier, a demeaning look in his eyes. "What did I tell you about those boys!" He bellowed, I didn't answer, Kol rubbed his thumb on my shoulder as I looked at the ground in shame and fear.

"And those children are acting as if you were their mother," Elijah continued, "They don't need a child looking after them! They need their family and you are not that!" I let out a shaky breath as I attempted not to cry.

"Elijah, lay off a bit-" Kol tried but our Elder Brother continued.

"No! Abbe you have disgraced yourself and our family!" Just then the doors opened, everyone turned and in the doorway was our Mother.

She walked past us and straight to Klaus. "Look at me." She commanded and my eyes began to shed the tears that had been held in. "Do you know, why I'm here?"

"You're here to kill me." Klaus answered, his voice broken as a tear rolled down his cheek. I sped forward but Elijah grabbed my arm, halting my movements. Mother turned her head just a bit to see me struggling with Elijah and she narrowed her eyes.

"No, Niklaus, you are my son. I am here to forgive you." I didn't believe her, but I wanted to. Deep down I could tell she was lying, but it didn't stop the relieved breath from escaping my lips. Elijah let me go and I stood beside Kol, him giving me a small, sad smile.

Mother turned to us, "I want us to be a family again."

I lay in my bed, wide awake. I'd left a few minutes after our Mother's announcement of a ball to introduce us to the town. I thought it a horrid idea, along with everyone but Rebekah, who seemed to strive in the idea of a party, and Elijah who seemed to think of it as an apology for my "childish" behaviour to the town.

I heard a rush of movement and smiled as Damon stood above me. "Hey," I whispered. He gave me a small smile and pulled off his shirt.

"Long night?" He asked as he laid down beside me and I snuggled into him as he pulled the blankets over us.

"You could say that," I answered resting my head on his chest. "How was the meeting for Stefan's truce? I didn't get to ask when I was there, overall the yelling and accusing."

"Well, your brother almost killed my brother and there was a weird amount of questions about our relationship." He chuckled and I groaned, Elijah had no doubt interrogated my boyfriend.

"Just ignore him, that's what I'm trying to do." I sighed. Damon, sensing my upset mood, messaged my back and whispered quiet nothings into my ear until I fell asleep.