2| They really are scum

Grayson

I can't believe that bastard skipped practice again. Our next meet is in a week and we've only been able to practice as a full team three times. We just finished practice and are changing in the locker room.

"What the fuck is up with Carpenter? Why isn't he here?" I ask angrily.

"I don't know man, but at this rate, Chris is gonna have to fill in for him next week," Oliver says. I shake my head and grab my bag. "Why don't we go blow off steam at Alex's?"

"Yeah guys, you know my house is always open," Alex chimes in.

"Yeah, I don't know how you function with a party practically every night"

"It's a well-refined skill, plus maybe tonight we can finally get Walker laid." Oliver laughs.

"Please, he's too uptight for that," That comment gets an eye-roll in response.

"I'm not uptight, I just don't do one-night stands,"

"Well it's not like you have time for an actual relationship," Oliver replies back.

"I have the time I just..."

"HAVEN'T MET THE RIGHT PERSON," Oliver and Alex say in unison.

"Oh shut up," I say throwing a towel at them.

"What about the girl you're always arguing with?"

"Hayden? Ha, not happening. First of all, have you ever seen us get along for more than five minutes? And second of all, she's dating Carpenter."

"So screw him, and screw her if you get what I'm saying," Alex says smirking. I think he even winked, which was really gross.

"No, you know how I feel about that kind of thing," If there's one thing I hate more than people not pulling their weight it's cheaters. They really are scum.

"Whatever, you're no fun. I'll see you guys at my house later," He says walking out.

~~~~~~~~~~

By the time I've showered and gotten a little dinner, Alex's house is full and roaring. I really don't know how he does it. I mean, the dude is a Division 1 athlete, a straight-A student, and a next-level partier. At this point, it's a skill.  When I get inside I walk straight to the kitchen to find a drink. I'm not much of a drinker but tonight I need to unwind. It's that or using Carpenter as a punching bag, which I have to say, is getting more tempting after every practice. 

"Hey man," Alex says spotting me in the kitchen.

"Hey,"

"I saw your best bud come in not that long ago."

"Really? So he can show up for a party but not practice?"

"Yeah, appears so. Just please don't beat him up in my house," Alex says very seriously. I laugh.

"Fine, I'll beat him up in your yard."

"No thanks,"

"Fine, no beating up, but did you see where he went? I need to talk to him about practice," Alex looks skeptical. "Without punching,"

"I saw him walking upstairs, looked like he was looking for someone. Maybe you can see your other best bud,"

"Hayden? Yeah, we're best buds," I say rolling my eyes.

"I still don't get why you two don't like each other."

"It's a long story. Look, I'm gonna go find Eric," Alex nods as I step away. I weave my way through the crowded halls of Alex's house until I make it to the stairs. I climb them and begin looking around different rooms. I finally find him in one of the rooms at the very end of the hall. Only, I didn't just find him. If I was drunk I could probably think it was his girlfriend but the lack of striking red hair makes it abundantly clear it isn't her just by the back of her head. It takes me a bit to fully process what I'm seeing but when I do I see red.