What about all the broken happy ever afters?

What about us?

What about all the plans that ended in disaster?

What about love? What about trust?

What about us?. . ." That was all she had written for now. It was hard for her to write this song, due to her thoughts always ending up on stuff she didn't want to think about. The Reaping, the Hunger Games, losing her family again. Those thoughts needed to be confronted at some point, but she was never strong enough to do so.

"Dove, that was lovely. Where did you learn to sing like that?" They knew Dove could sing beautifully. But since when could she write songs like that? It would have been bad if anyone had been there. They would punish her for 'enticing a rebellion'.

"I thought about everything I wanted to say. And then thought about how to say it without 'instigating a revolution,'. Venting all my emotions felt nice, but I couldn't stop crying every time I tried to write more." Dove said, while playing around with her hands. A thing she did when she was anxious.

Melo hugged his sisters once more, whispering reassuring words. Librae watched the scene in front of her with love. This time she joined in the embrace, kissing her children's temples endlessly. Their mother seemed to have awakened from the state of shock she was in since before.

The sound of the door opening startled the family. No. The hour can't be over. Not yet, please, Dove begged in her mind. Everyone looked where the Peacekeepers should be standing, but the only figure that could be seen was the last year's victor. Finnick Odair had just entered the room. Dove didn't understand his presence. He was going to be her brother's mentor. He didn't need to say goodbye for now.

"Sorry for disturbing you all. I-" He trailed off. He was clearly nervous. He hadn't considered what he was supposed to say to the family whose child's life would be in his hands.

"I just wanted to say that. . . I promise to do my best as Melo's mentor. I'll make sure he comes back home alive." Finnick felt guilty being there. He was mostly there to not feel guilty of not trying enough. He wanted his friend back alive. But letting his true feelings be shown had become complicated since he won his games.

However, Dove could understand his thoughts just by looking at his eyes. And she knew he wanted her brother back safe and sound as much as her. He was the one who could help her brother the most. And he was pledging to use the advantage to help them.

Dove mentally took back anything she might have ever thought bad about Finnick Odair. She approached the victor, looking at his eyes one more time before hugging him.

"Thank you! Thank you so much," those were the first words Dove Ogilvy had ever said to Finnick Odair. Still confused, he hugged back the girl. He wasn't expecting that reaction from her. He thought he would get yelled at, or maybe get judged, or she would just snap at him. But the hug felt familiar, he missed the feeling of belonging.

"Is there anything you need us to do, Finnick?" Their mother talked for the first time as the two teenagers separated from their hug. The boy looked at Librae with a straight face and replied.

"Victors are not allowed to bet, and your daughters are too young to bet. However, if you can find someone who is willing to bet in your stead, that would be helpful," the woman just nodded at his words. "I can convince a few people. Anything else?" she asked.

"Doesn't matter how hard it gets, watch the Games at all times. Knowing you're watching over him will give Melo more strength," Finnick said.

"Thank you, Finnick, for everything," her mother replied, with Angel nodding next to her. She was genuinely grateful for the boy's courage. After all, Victors weren't supposed to have favourites between tributes. Even though all the victor's helped the tribute, who had more possibilities of winning. May the odds be ever in your favour, my ass, Dove thought.