Going Down The Drain

Start from the beginning

"Yo, Ada!"

Whirling around, Ada's smile grew to a full grin as she spotted Teddy flying over in a blaze of chaotic glory. His frizzy blond hair whipped behind him, and he was doing that ridiculous Superman flying pose. Black leather, blue jeans, crazy eyes, spikes, and ridiculous chunky boots. Put all that together and you had the star cupid of the Southern Division.

Teddy had never failed a match, ever. He understood and breathed love but he was a horrid teacher because no matter how much he tried to teach her his method, nothing stuck.

"I just saw Horrid Harry." When he landed, his wings folded and vanished. "Dude is furious. And the blue hair." Teddy slapped his thigh as he belly-laughed, deep blue eyes merry and bright. "When I saw his hair, I knew it was you. Harry totally had it coming."

Yep, Harry deserved the prank she pulled on him. Ada could take him making her life miserable because of her failed matches, but ridiculing her wings–something she had no control over–was low.

Still laughing, Teddy gave Ada a fist bump then craned his neck. "Hey, Olga!"

"Hi, Teddy," Olga's reply was a dull monotone.

"So," he nudged Ada, still grinning, "a new match eh?"

Ada dusted off imaginary lint off her shoulders and gave a nonchalant shrug. "Yep. Just when I thought the One Up High had given up on me. Boom."

"No one is giving up on you," Teddy said before leaning against the booth and folding his arm. He was a few inches taller than her because of the ridiculous clunky boots he loved to wear.

"My assignment gets to see me," Ada blurted.

Teddy's whipped his head in her direction so fast she feared for his neck. "No way." He gapped.

"Yes way." Ada watched a cupid fly to one of the drain pipes and vanish. Once Olga was done with her logger, she would have to do that too.

"That's incredibly rare." Teddy whistled and shook his head. "I've been in the field for years and have never had a match where my assignment got to see me."

"I don't want to panic but I keep wondering if she'll like me."

"Come on," Teddy chuffed and bumped her shoulder, "have you met you? You're the most likable creature ever."

"I think Horrid Harry would strongly disagree."

"Here." Olga slid her logger across the counter and jerked her head towards the Drain portals. "Number R45. Have a successful match." She smiled for the first time. It was small and brief and disappeared as fast as it appeared.

Ada smiled in return as she retrieved the logger. "Thanks." She attached the device to its chain and hid it under her shirt.

"This is it." Ada stood straighter and exhaled. "Wish me luck."

"You are so gonna crush it." Teddy pulled her into a side hug and ruffled her hair.

"Hey." She slapped his hand away, pointing at his feet as he chuckled. "Lose those boots."

"Never." Laughing, Teddy summoned his wings and floated off the ground. "I'd come to pay you a visit once I wrap up my match. See ya!" He waved and shot off like a rocket.

Since number R45 was a bit high up, Ada pushed her body off the ground and flew in its direction. She tapped her Tragus twice and music filled her ears. Ada hummed along as she drew closer to the Drain Station. It was 6:52 PM; the timer in her head was counting down to 06:55 PM. She had to ensure she appeared at her match's home right on time.

Regarding her match, a number of strategies danced in her head. There were several laws of attraction and even mathematical equations she learned during her years of training. She had them stored in her head but never bothered applying them to matches because she felt they were stiff and shouldn't be applied to matters of the heart. She scoffed at her former thinking. What had all that given her? Zero—a big, fat zero.

No more. This time, she was beyond determined. Genevieve and Raymond must fall in love. With renewed determination, she tossed her logger into the R45 drain pipe and fell in. Shutting her eyes, Ada relaxed and allowed her body to spin down.

Time paused, the feeling of absolute stillness cocooning her small frame like a soft embrace. Her eyes flew open as she took in her surroundings. This was her favourite part of porting. Miles upon miles of multiple coloured stars as far as the eyes could see. They did not twinkle amidst the colourful Milky Way but they shone beautifully—

The final phase ripped her away from the tranquil sight. Gravity pulled her down at neck-break speed. She squealed with excitement as she zapped past houses, cars, and people. Some sneezed, a few suddenly smiled as an instant pleasant memory flooded their minds, while the rest felt nothing. Bummers.

Like clockwork, the apartment complex came into view. It was decent-looking. Ada guessed the complex was divided into a total of four apartments. Good. The fewer, the merrier.

"In three, two, one." Ada softly landed in the kitchen. "Ding dong."

Lisa, the cousin, stepped in with loaded shopping bags, nodding her head to the beat of a song blasting in her ears.

As the cousin walked by, Ada floated off the floor and touched her headset. The song she was listening to transferred to Ada's Tragus. The little device at the back of her ear was her favourite Highbrow creation. Life without human music would be so...silent.

"Hmm." Ada frowned as she listened to the song. The lyrics weren't bad and the beat was nice.

"Now, to business." Ada reached a hand over her shoulder and unslung the backpack that appeared. As the cousin laid out the ingredients for what she was about to cook, Ada carefully placed three labelled vials on the counter as well.

All that was needed was the right timing and proper measurement. She certainly wouldn't mess this up... hopefully. 

________________________________________________________________________________
Heya! I hope you enjoyed this chapter.
Pretty please, if you notice errors, inconsistencies, or mistakes, do point them out. Thanks.

How I imagine my Nezzar readers judge me whenever I post yet another new chapter of WCE.😅

I promise I am working on Nezzar

I promise I am working on Nezzar. 💕

Don't forget to vote and comment. 
All the love.