Going Down The Drain

Start from the beginning

Lisa paused and shook her head. "No. Not yet." She held the phone like a weapon as she eyed Genevieve. That stupid glint was still in her eyes.

"You know these games you play don't suit you? You're what? Twenty-two?"

Lisa laughed and waved a hand. "Twenty. I'll never stop playing games. As for what would make me happy and not call my aunt," Lisa pocketed her phone then rubbed her palms, "let me cook dinner."

"I'd rather die," Genevieve said with a fierce slash of the hand. No. Anything but that! Lisa's food was–no. The girl had minus zero cooking skills.

"Fine, I'll attend your funeral." Lisa blessed her with a sugary smile before retrieving her phone once more. Her catlike eyes gleamed as she mouthed 'your mum' and pointed at the phone already pressed to her ear.

"Oh, hello. Aunt Amanda? Good evening." Her voice turned soft and pleasant. "Yeah, the flight was smooth. Thank you so much."

Genevieve could faintly hear her mother's voice. Lisa wasn't bluffing; she legit called her mum.

"What? You want to speak to Genevieve?" Lisa walked up to her and innocently handed over the phone. "She wants to speak with you."

Genevieve snatched the phone and ended the call. "You win."

"Yas!" Lisa pumped a fist and did a little monkey dance around the kitchen. After the show, she walked up to Genevieve, hand extended. "Gimme, gimme."

Walking over to her bag, Genevieve pulled out her purse. When she handed over her credit card, Lisa's countenance turned somewhat sober.

"What?" Genevieve asked with a scowl. She could predict what Lisa was about to say.

"That was cold, you know?"

Genevieve shook her head. "I'm not ready."

"I wouldn't say I understand, but I do know she misses you."

"Whatever," Genevieve replied at the same time she shoved down rising unwanted emotions. "Please, try to cook something edible this time, Okay?"

Lisa chuckled. "I don't get why you keep worrying. Today's meal will be el superbo." She gave a chef's kiss. "I looked up the recipe. There's this insane YouTube chef I follow... like, he is awesome. A chef god."

"Right," Genevieve mumbled before grabbing her bag and heading to her bedroom. "I bet it'll taste like pain and regret,"

"I heard that!" Lisa shouted after her.

"I'm glad you ain't deaf!"

***

"Logger?" The chubby rosy cheeked attendant at the Mission Department booth asked.

Ada bounced on her feet and grinned at the cupid like her teeth just got bleached. "I got a match. Me. Can you imagine?"

"Yay," The cupid muttered in a dead voice. "Pass your logger, please."

Ada's smile faltered, but she pulled it right back up. Nothing would dampen her spirit. She eyed the cupid's name tag.

Olga, huh? You should smile more often, Olga. "Here," Ada said instead as she slid the logger across the smooth counter of the booth.

The Field Mission Department was responsible for providing mission supplies. From cool high-tech gadgets to pet repellents, everything she needed would fit in her small backpack. All she had to do was reach over her shoulder and the bag appeared. Pretty neat.

Ada had volunteered at the Field Missions Department a few times. Though it wasn't the most exciting job, it still helped fill her Volunteer Meter. The idea behind the Meter was to give their time selflessly to the Cupid Community. That was another thing Ada sucked at. The higher a cupid's Meter was, the faster they grew and developed unique abilities. Hers was still pitifully low but she didn't care. Okay, maybe she cared, but only a little, really.