6

omniscient

-sometimes, backwood-

entering the bus, joli decided to do something bold.

something she had to sacrifice her window seat for, but she didn't really care.

she didn't ask to sit down next to her, half expecting to get told to move as billie looked at her, but instead her tired blue eyes lit up a little, and a small, almost nonexistent smile appeared.

joli returned it.

"hi," she muttered.

"hey."

and with that, the bus started moving.

about 10 minutes into the journey, an idea lit up in joli's somewhat foggy brain.

"here," she spoke, digging through her bag and pulling out an exercise book.

"the maths homework from today," she clarified, before handing it to the silver haired girl next to her.

"you had it done?"

billie's eyes met hers, as if trying to figure her out, but all joli could concentrate on was the dark circles beneath her eyes, and the color of her eyes, and how pretty her eyes were, and how pretty she was, and the close proximity of billie's face in front of her own.

snapping out of the trance she had been in, the trance that felt as though it had lasted for hours even though it couldn't have been more than a few seconds, she cleared her throat, moving back a little in an attempt to clear her head of her own thoughts.

"uh, yeah. you can copy it. and like, bring it in tomorrow."

she was shocked to see a slight blush forming on the pale girl's cheeks, but she was sure she had a matching one on hers, and the knowledge of that caused her to look away and clear her throat yet again.

"thank you."

it was almost a whisper, but she heard it.

billie began to copy in the work, and joli stuck her headphones in.

quite a while through the 40 minute journey, she saw a pen drop out of the corner of her eye. taking out her headphones, she came to the realization that billie had fallen asleep, and the pen had fallen from her grasp.

deciding against waking her up, joli carefully removed the two exercise books from her lap, and placing them into billie's schoolbag.

she turned in her sleep, her head coming dangerously close to making contact with joli's shoulder. it didn't touch, instead resting just above it.

she didn't want to wake her up. she looked like she really needed that sleep, she definitely wouldn't have just randomly fallen asleep if she didn't. her eyelids fluttered as she slept, her brows furrowing every so often, and she moved again in her sleep, her head even closer to joli's shoulder, closer...

"hey," she nudged her softly, effectively waking her up. she looked scared for a moment, before realizing where she was.

"your stop is next," joli spoke softly.

"oh." she seemed embarrassed. "sorry for falling asleep," she spoke, incessantly turning the ring on her pointer finger, hair over her face so she couldn't be seen.

"don't worry about it."

the chapters are short but i feel like it suits the style of the book better? idk

shorter chapters means more chapters though

and hopefully faster updates