Chapter 44: Thank You Buck

After they had returned to the tower, nothing was the same again for Cara. The others were informed of what had happened to Steve, and instantly fell into a sadness like the rest of them. Cara's wails had turned to garbled moans, distorted by her tears. Tony had decided it was best to send her to medical with Clint, as well as Bucky who all needed the most attention. The rest of them got checked out or quick fixed by the small team of agents that usually greeted them on the landing pad. When one agent picked up Cap's shield, Tony demanded it be put in Steve's room after it had been cleaned, the agent nodding, agreed and took off.

In medical, Clint had the arrows Cara had shot him with carefully removed before Dr. Cho repaired the tissue. He was then given antibiotics and an order to rest but instead, went to Cara's side. Cara felt dead. Like every grain of happiness had left her and the last spark of her had gone out. She watched zombie like as Bucky's knife wounds she had given him were examined, cleaned and stitched, four in total. She didn't even notice as the red and black Hydra suit she was wearing was cut open to take care of her gunshot wound that Bucky had given her.

Now that she was a super soldier, her wounds would heal faster than they normally would. The bullet was removed and the bleeding was stopped before she was stitched up like Bucky, a normal person would have needed surgery. When she wasn't responding to anything, not even Clint clutching her tightly, crying, telling her how sorry he was, it was decided she should be sedated for a bit. Bucky agreed, given everything else she had gone through other than Steve. The doctor agreed and began hooking her up to IVs and making her comfortable. All of which she was unresponsive to staring blankly, barely blinking. Just as the sedative was plunged in and she began to feel sleepy, Bucky leaned down closer to her, tears still in his eyes.

"I won't let any of his things be touched, okay? And Clint and I won't leave you're side. I- I promised him I'd take care of you. I promised him. I'm not leaving your side." Bucky said uncharacteristically emotional.

She didn't respond, just a heavy blink. Bucky leaned down and gently kissed her forehead before he turned to leave, to fulfill what he had said to her and ensure Steve's room went untouched. Clint stayed with Cara, silently and tearfully watching her drift of into sedation. He was grateful to Cap for doing whatever it took to get his sister back alive, for giving his life for hers. But the consequences of his sacrifice were hard to swallow.

When her body had had time enough to calm, so she would be able to function, she was brought out of the sedation a few days later. When her eyes opened, a single tear fell from each eye, followed by two silent second tears, the pain and heartbreak still fresh. As promised, Bucky and Clint were there, sitting by her side. She had hoped it had all been a dream, some terrible nightmare that she would wake from. But reality flooded back to her all too quickly.

They both gave her privacy as she changed out of the Hydra suit she had been given, putting on the jeans and shirt that had been brought to her. Before they left the room she threw the suit in the metal trash can, burning it, causing mild panic from the medical staff. As they walked out she didn't say a word, she felt numb inside, like her heart had been replaced with a chunk of ice. When they got to the living quarters floor, Clint stopped to open her door but Cara kept walking, Bucky following close behind not breaking stride and Clint followed soon after. Cara opened the door to Steve's room and paused in the doorway.

Tears began to cascade down her cheeks as she looked at everything, all of his things, what was important to him. She dropped to her knees when her eyes fell upon the shield which had been hung in its usual place, above the bed. Clint went to help her up, but Bucky put a hand up stopping him. When Cara eventually did get up she walked into the room slowly and over to the neatly folded sweat pants and t-shirt that Steve slept in, picking them up and feeling them in her arms, crying. She could hear Clint telling Bucky he was going to give them time to which Cara assumed Bucky only nodded because she heard no response.

The door shut and she began changing, Bucky turning around respectively, as she put on the oversized sweats and t-shirt. When he turning back around Cara had crawled into Steve's bed, on her side of the bed looking at his now empty side. Tears were falling one after the other, like they were unable to stop as she clutched one of the extra pillows tightly. Bucky sat in the armchair, watching her, letting a few more tears of his own fall.

"I'm here if you need me. If you do fall asleep, the nightmares will start. Just know I'm here."

She stared silently off into nothing, not responding.

"He was my best friend, like a brother to me. I'm going to miss him like hell too. If you want I can make sure you can keep your room and all your things there, but stay in here. Steve restored your room after you were taken, making sure every trinket and trophy was put back just the way you had it. He cleaned up some stuff or replaced broken ones so when you got back you would feel safe, like it had never happened."

More silence answered him. Watching her tears continue to fall like a slow endless rain.

"But he would want you to sleep here. To be with his things, surround yourself in him. You were the best thing that ever happened to him. And he truly did love you."

Cara closed her eyes tears continuing to fall, she thought they may never stop. She already knew her heart would never heal, she would never love again. Instead she would always feel empty, hoping she would never feel anything again so she would never feel pain like this again. Steve was her one true great love and she didn't want a life without him.

"I'll make sure everyone knows both of the rooms are yours and are to remain untouched. And I'm here, anytime, day or night."

Though she didn't look at him, she responded softly through her tears and through her pain.

"Thank you Buck."