ii: fifth wheel

While waiting for professor Kang to arrive, I decided to sit beside Jeongyeon since her seatmate hadn't arrived yet. After seeing Miss Pretty Eyes with a guy yesterday, I didn't feel like sitting beside her. However, I had no choice because I was assigned to sit beside her.

I decided I should stop crushing on her and I wouldn't call her Miss Pretty Eyes anymore. I wouldn't be curious about her name or anything about her. And yet here I was, staring at her from behind. I let out a sigh, looking away.

Thankfully, Jeongyeon seemed to forget about what I told her yesterday, about my crush on my seatmate as she didn't mention anything, nor tease me why I was sitting beside her instead of my proper seat.

"How's your date with Momo?" I asked, trying to keep myself from turning my head towards Miss Pretty— I meant, my seatmate's direction.

"We just stayed in my dorm."

"I see." I thought I already knew what transpired in her dorm so I decided not to ask further and changed the subject. "By the way, you know Chaeyoung?"

"Yeah, the art student."

"We met yesterday and she introduced her girlfriend."

Jeongyeon sat straight in her seat, looking at me, after hearing the news. "Girlfriend? She has a girlfriend now?"

"Uh huh... Her girlfriend looks like a model, she's gorgeous." I had to express it because Chaeyoung's girlfriend really surprised me.

"Woah, really?" There was some spark in Jeongyeon's eyes after I mentioned the word 'gorgeous'.

"Now, that, I have to see. I should ask her on a double date sometime," she said.

"Sure." And by the mention of the double date, I decided to go back to my proper seat.

A negative feeling suddenly materialized within me. I couldn't help but feel envious and happy for them at the same time. Wasn't it weird? I'm jealous but I'm happy?

On my way to my seat, I tried to feel indifferent, convincing myself that her presence had no effect on me anymore. However, when I was about to take my seat, she glanced at me and our eyes met! My heart started drumming fast.

Ugh! Stupid heart, stop beating!

"Way to go, Nayeon!" I heard Jeongyeon shout. And here I thought she wouldn't tease me. "Ask her name!"

I shot Jeongyeon a sharp look and she just covered her mouth, but she didn't look sorry at all.

Glancing back to my seatmate, worried that she might give meaning to what Jeongyeon did, it relieved me to see that her attention was on our textbook. I noticed she always studies or reads. I saw her one time reading a novel.

"Hi," I found myself greeting her. I thought she was going to ignore me when she said hi back. But that was it. She was back to reading. Maybe she didn't want to be disturbed.

I didn't know what I was trying to do. Why did I bother greeting her? I mean, she has a boyfriend; the guy was probably her boyfriend. But there's this little voice saying that it could be not, that he probably was just a friend or a classmate. Or maybe I was just trying to convince myself so I could continue crushing on her despite the fact that it's not good to still have feelings for someone who's already taken because you're just going to end up hurt.

Look, I didn't even know her name. But taking another glance at the textbook she was reading, something written in black marker caught my attention on the side of the book, it read: Sana Minatozaki.

From the book, my eyes then lifted to her. Sana Minatozaki? I thought. Then I realized it was her name.

A smile easily made its way on my lips even before I could look away and Sana caught me staring. Thankfully, Miss Kang finally showed up, getting all of our attention.