Kane was in his typical dad attire that I remembered from when I was younger. His jeans and blue shirt were snug on him in all the right places. He had turned around to grab his now empty plate to throw in the trash, his ass on perfect display. It was just another area where his clothes fit perfectly.

But I wasn't the only one to notice.

Josephine looked back at me, wiggling her eyebrows with a smug look on her face. Hell, I couldn't get mad because Kane was fit, I looked too, and he wasn't mine... yet. Once she turned her attention back to Kane, I rolled my eyes.

"We'll probably been back around 5 or 6, Mr. Jackson," she smiled sweetly at him. He ran his big porcelain hand through his curls and shrugged. He was never this pale when I was growing up. Of course he wasn't pasty but his complexion was just lighter which took getting used to. It was obviously because he wasn't a carpenter anymore. The sun didn't tan his skin as often anymore. Either way, Kane was a stunning man.

"Don't worry about that Josephine. Soak up all the sun you can. But that girl is mine so don't bring her back with any scratches," he smiled, a curl coming down to meet his forehead. If I were any closer to him, I would've instinctively brushed it away for him.

"And if I don't," Josephine flirted.

"There will be consequences," Kane joked once more, his gaze darkening and meeting mine. Kane pointed in my direction, curling his finger towards himself.

I followed his order, walking to him quickly, excited to fully have his attention. Pathetic. Josephine moved back, pulling her keys back out and unlocking her truck, ready to leave.

Kane's arm reached out for me as I neared him, his hand finding it's way to my wrist as he pulled me in. This Kane smelled of fresh linen. When I was younger, he always had a hint of wood to him. If I closed my eyes hard enough, I could try and pretend that comforting scent was still there but it wasn't. I was okay with it. Resting my head on his chest, I smiled and looked down at the floor in front of us while my hand rested on his side.

Suddenly, his fingertips connected with my chin, tipping my head up slightly. Before I could look up at him, he gripped my chin softly to keep my head there.

"You look good, Nicole," he whispered.

My heart skipped so many beats I lost my breath and closed my eyes. Squeezing my shoulder, he pushed me away softly as Josephine turned her head to look at us. I knew I looked like a deer in headlights as I stumbled towards, her head turning in wonder.

My skin tingled where his fingers had lingered just a few moments ago. My arm, my back, my chin, his breath on my ear. It went by so fast but so slow.

"I'll keep her safe, Kane. You ready," she asked, already walking towards the door. I followed her out, grabbing my bag that laid on the floor by the door and reached out for the handle.

"You two have plenty of fun," he called out. Josephine looked back and smiled so big at him her eyes closed. I mentally thanked her for that as I didn't have the courage to look back at him. I knew I'd abruptly cancel the plans with Josie and show him how good I really looked.

The door shut behind us, causing me to let out a breath I didn't know was stuck in my chest. Josephine looked back at me once more before shrugging and jumping up into her truck. I followed suit, jumping up into the passenger seat of Josephine's scorching car. Oklahoma summers were unforgivable sometimes, hot air or no air and a blazing sun to match. I didn't understand how Joshua was still out at this time of day.

༒ ༒ ༒

We laid on a big blanket that I borrowed from Kane. He was so happy to see me off he must've thought I didn't have friends. And I honestly didn't. It was one because of my persistent bluntness and two because I didn't like having many friends. It meant you had to hang out and talk to them outside of school settings. And even in school settings it was too much. But now that I was going to college, I had picked who I wanted to keep and that answer was pretty obvious. Josephine and that was it.