Chapter 25 - Sightseeing in Seattle

Start bij het begin

"Nah, it's not that, Brianna," Matthew told her. "It's just that a lot of people recognize Greg."

"Why would they?" Rachelle asked from nearby as she listened to the children talk.

"Because he's famous," Zackary told her.

"Michael," Rachelle said immediately in a stern tone whirrling on her husband.

"Yes, Rachelle?"

"You asked that I let you handle it ... and your son is lying again. Say something," Rachelle insisted.

Michael arched his brow. "Are you lying, Zack?"

"Dad!" Zackary protested in exasperation. "You know who Greg is."

"Yeah Dad, you do," Matthew agreed.

"He's your step-father," Michael told them while Greg and Susan listened in.

"Exactly," Rachelle told the children. "You should remember that, Zack and stop making up stories about people."

Zackary made a face, but didn't argue the point. He just looked at Susan who shrugged.

"I guess they don't watch that show?" Susan suggested.

"Nah, they don't," Zackary agreed.

"That show hasn't been on television for years, Susan. The boys have only seen it because we had the episodes recorded," Michael reminded her.

"What show, Michael?" Rachelle asked.

"An adventure show the kids and I used to watch reruns of ... before you and I got married," Michael explained.

"I don't understand. What's that got to do with Greg?" Rachelle asked looking in confusion at first her husband then at Greg as though expecting an explanation.

Greg exchanged a 'what did you expect' sort of look at Susan who said,

"Greg works in entertainment, Rachelle."

"Oh I see. Were you involved with the making of that show or something?" Rachelle wondered.

"I was," Greg told her mildly. Actually he'd co-stared in the show they were talking about more than twenty-five years ago, but apparently since Rachelle didn't watch it, she didn't know that.

Rachelle nodded, but the topic was dropped as their group came to the front of the line.

Matt exchanged a look with his brother then shrugged. Meanwhile their step-sister Brianna shrewdly watched the interaction between the two boys.

The ride up in the glass elevator was exciting for everyone.

"Whoa!" Zackary exclaimed as he felt his stomach drop as the sensation of rising rapidly caught up with them.

"No kidding," Josh agreed.

"Are you okay, Jessie?" Susan asked.

Jessie nodded, but she didn't say anything and she tightened her grip on Susan's hand.

Finally the doors opened and they all got out, stepping out onto the observation deck at the top of the Space Needle to admire the view.

Susan looked around them as they did. There was a waist-high cement barrier around the perimeter, topped by a fence. It was open to the air making it cool, but safe. Also, the crowd at the top of the Space Needle was relatively small and no one was looking especially at Greg. They were all much more interested in the view. For the first time that morning, Susan felt herself relax. That is until she felt Jessie leaning into her a little more firmly than usual.