Chapter 48: The Storm

Start from the beginning

You shrug and take your hand back. "I have no preference."

"Well, there is no need to thank me." Boba smiles at Zora and shakes one of her tiny hands. She giggles while he sets his hand back on his belt. "It's I who should be thanking you." He looks at Din. "Both of you."

Din tilts his helmet. "I wouldn't have my family back if it wasn't for you." He looks over at you. "We're in your service."

Boba nods with gratitude, a gesture of dismissal that sends you and Din to the outskirts of the group. You take your place just behind Boba with one hand on Zora's head and the other near your holster. You may trust Boba's and Fennec's trust of these people, but you would be a fool not to prepare yourself to protect your defenseless daughter.

Fennec walks around the group as she begins the briefing. "The Pyke Syndicate has been gathering soldiers the last few weeks."

You look at Din and widen your eyes only a slight amount. You had no idea you'd be dealing with the Pykes. Din sets a hand on his belt and looks at you with a tilt to his helmet. We've dealt with much worse before, you remind yourself. The thought calms you.

"Mayor Mok Shaiz is on their payroll and has flown off world," Fennec stops her stride and folds her hands in front of her, "which leads us to believe the storm is about to break."

"It was a scheduled vacation, actually," an orange Twi'lek speaks up from behind Fennec. He dares to take a step towards her while he lifts a cautious hand. You furrow your brow at him. There's no doubt he once worked for the mayor in question. Fennec rolls her eyes and stares at him, a signal strong enough to send the Twi'lek back to where he came from. He jumps when a Gamorrean snarls at him.

Fennec continues. "Here's a map of where they are gathering, based on whispers." She pulls up a new diagram and starts circling the group again. You can see the map clearly from where you stand. "The three crime families of Mos Espa seem willing to lay low and let the Pykes move on our territory."

Fennec joins Boba at his side. Her gaze shifts to you and Din and thus draws the eyes of many others. You harden your jaw and raise your chin as you stand before them.

"This is the Mandalorian, Din Djarin." Din looks at Boba and nods. "Beside him is Astra Djarin, the last princess of Arilia." You direct your own nod towards the rest of the room. "They're a resilient family, and thanks to them Krrsantan—," you notice the Wookie nods at that, "—we now have enough experienced muscle to act as enforcers."

"Experienced muscle?" You keep your voice hushed as you repeat Fennec's words to Din. "I like the sound of that." Din chuckles and nudges your shoulder with his.

"The Mods have done a thorough job of surveying the streets," Fennec gestures to the young group, "but we lack the numbers to cover our territory if an all-out war comes." She pauses and takes a breath. "We need foot soldiers."

The moment reminds you of another time you fought on Tatooine. You and Din share a glance. He nods and lets his hand drop back to his side as he turns to focus on Fennec. "We might be able to help with that."

The group turns to the two of you with expectation. Fennec looks between you and Din for a long moment. "You have reinforcements?"

"We could get some, out in Mos Pelgo." Din gestures with his helmet to you. "We can go right now and ask for their help."

Boba nods. "Make haste," he says. "The storm could break at any moment."

Din sets his hand on your back and eases you forward. You follow him and retrace your steps from before to make your way back to the hangar. Din's hand moves from your back to instead hold one of yours. You grin and look over at him.