"Snow bears, plague and who knows what else." The female tutted as their voices retreated. "The sooner I return to Alharai, the better."

Únik could feel her breaths coming in rapid succession. Under her hand, Hatyara's eyes questioned her, but Únik only gave her a small shake of the head in response. Years before, Únik had learnt that snow bears would avoid her if they saw her wearing the furs of their kin. She surmised they either had poor eyesight, or could tell she had killed to get those furs. Either way, she had never expected those furs to come in handy, hiding from people.

For long moments, she remained in place, terrified to even contemplate moving. She kept her eye on Barsa, watching the twitch of his ears, the lifting of his nose as he sniffed the air. After a while, his ears dropped and he reached up his head, licking Únik's face, as though telling her the danger had passed.

Still, she took her time turning to look outside of the cave, ready to spin her head back around and, perhaps, attempt to imitate a snow bear's roar. She had no need. She could see nothing outside the cave, nor at any distance beyond. Their pursuers had moved on.

Lifting her hand from Hatyara's mouth, Únik fell back against the wall of the cave and thanked all the Patrons that her mother had not birthed a small child. She did not doubt her large size helped the illusion no end. Had she had the small, dainty body she had wanted her entire life, like as not she would have found herself gutted right now. Her and Hatyara.

Released from Únik's protective hold, Barsa returned to the mouth of the cave, looking around, his ears twitching one way and the other. Likewise, Hatyara had sat up, and now she stared at Únik. Únik almost thought she could see a hint of respect in that look, though there was nothing to respect in hiding, she believed.

"They'll never stop, you know." The Ice-Kin peeked her head around Únik to look outside. "You could have just given me to them. I'm surprised you didn't. I would have."

"I don't doubt it." With her breathing returning to normal, Únik dug into one of the sacks, pulling out a water skin and taking a long drink. "Good thing I'm not you then."

She looked the girl over and realised that she didn't hate her, as she thought. She blamed Hatyara for things beyond her control. There was no chance that the girl had trapped herself in a sinking ship and become chased by murderous, shadowy figures in order to ruin Únik's life. The girl and Únik were both victims of circumstance. True, the girl had some responsibility for the actions that brought her to Tracis' Midden, but no control from then on. Únik held out the water skin to the Ice-Kin.

"We should have kept moving." Hatyara looked at the spout of the water skin, grimaced and then wiped it with the fur tied about her arm before taking a small drink and replacing the stopper. "They won't stop and neither should we. Now they're closer than ever."

Taking the water skin from the girl, Únik shoved it into the sack, rummaging around until she found a parcel of salted meats. She began to chew on whale meat she had preserved herself. It had a strong taste to it, not lessened by the taste of salt. Still, it was better than nothing. She laid the open parcel between her and Hatyara. If the girl wanted to eat, she could get it herself.

But, after a fashion, Únik knew the girl was right. If they had continued moving, they would have been much further ahead by now, instead of with the wolves at their door. She didn't second-guess herself too much. The fact that they had all felt tired, even Barsa, after the day's events meant they had to rest.

Were they warriors, trained to march for days on end, they may have made it further towards Uriok. But they weren't warriors. Even with her harsh life at the Midden building her strength, Únik doubted she could have continued on for much longer. Rest was the right choice.

Ice-Bound Promise [Wattys 2023 Shortlister]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें