23. Commonwealth Day

Start from the beginning

Her mother knew well how much effort she had put in writing her speech, and getting ready for that day, as well as how nervous she was. "You're going to do amazing, sweetheart. I'm so sure about that."

Carefully, she placed an hand on her back and they walked together towards the Abbey. In front of it, waiting for them, the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Bishop of London.

"Welcome back, Your Royal Highnesses." The two men greeted them. "It's a pleasure to have you here."

"Good evening," Victoria smiled, giving a nod. Coronavirus was just beginning to spread, and handshakes had been banned.

Outside of the UK, many other countries had already taken drastic measures to try and stop it, so of course all the people in attendance were following government's rules of avoiding handshakes and be careful.

The Bishop of London smiled, inviting the family to get inside, which they did. They walked up to the line of diplomats waiting for them. Among them, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and the Secretary General of the Commonwealth, Patricia Scotland.

Princess Victoria followed her mother and her father in greeting them all, stopping to chat for a few seconds with everyone before proceeding on with the line. By the time they were at the end of the line, Prince Charles and Camilla had arrived.

William, Catherine and Victoria walked all the way down the aisle to the other side of the Abbey, where their seats were. There, already waiting, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and the Earl and Countess of Wessex.

Sophie and Edward smiled to the family, happily greeting them.

"Hey guys," Sophie leaned over the chair to reach for her goddaughter's hand, giving them a squeeze.

"How are you doing?" Edward asked as well while the new arrivals sat in the chairs.

"Great," William replied, with a smirk towards his daughter. "Big day, and someone might be a bit nervous."

"Dad," Victoria pretended to roll her eyes at him, to what her father replied with a grin.

"Excuse me Lady, I never mentioned you, I was talking about myself!" He joked, causing everyone around to laugh.

"You'll do beautifully, Vicky, I'm absolutely sure." Sophie assured.

"What is it that you're going to do, again, my dear?"

Everybody froze. Meghan, who had barely gotten up from her chair to greet her in-laws, was now staring at them with a smile that was much more similar to a grin on her face.

Catherine, well aware of the fact that the ceremony was televised and there were cameras everywhere, replied with a smile, gently grabbing her daughter's arm. "She's going to deliver her first speech today." She stated, proudly.

"Oh really?" The ex-actress seemed surprised. "You should have come to me, dear, I could have taught you a bit about body language sort of thing, you know? You're always so shy and close, I'm not sure this will go that well you know- I'm saying this in your interest of course and-"

"That's enough, Meghan." William stated firmly. "No matter what, Victoria is going to go up there, deliver her speech she prepared with so much and keep up the honour her family. She has been preparing for this for the past months and I couldn't be more proud of her. She doesn't need your help. Thanks."