19. Archie's christening

Meghan sighed deeply closing the laptop that was placed on the table in front of her. She turned to her left, staring at her husband until he realized she was giving him attention.

"Yeah?" Harry asked, raising an eyebrow.

"See Hazz, I thought about it" Meghan stood up. "I don't really fancy your family attending Archie's christening."

After an initial sort of shock, Harry shook his head. "What- Why?"

"Well Kate's surely going to steal the show from me. That's the only thing she wants. And I'm sure she also told Victoria to. Your niece clearly hates me, that's why I don't want them around Arch." She put on the most devastated face she could, sure to be about to receive all the compassion from his husband.

"Why should Kate do that? And Vic- Meg I'm sure you're wrong." Harry tried, but Meghan immediately shushed him.

"You don't see that but in your family there are only mean people. Your brother and his wife hate us, because they don't want us to overshadow them, and they're teaching their kids to do the same. I don't Archie to grow up in such an horrible environment as you did, or he will end up being like you."

It took a couple seconds for Harry to realize what Meghan had just said. "What do you mean?"

"Oh love," she walked towards him and hugged him, then kissed his cheek. "You don't have to worry about anything anymore. I'm here to take care of you." She smiled to him and headed for the door, but before leaving she turned again and stared at him in the eyes, completely serious.

"I want your brother and his family out of the christening. Without ifs or buts."

***

Harry stared at his phone placed on the table and watching it ringing a few times before his brother picked it up from the other side.

"Hello?" William's voice said, causing a shiver to run down Harry's back.

"William." The Prince's voice was absolutely flat, not a single emotion showing.

"Yeah. Hey Harry, what's up?" The eldest brother seemed happy as his usual self.

"William I need to talk to you about Archie's christening."

His tone worried his brother, who immediately replied. "Is everything okay?"

"No, not really. Me-" he stopped a second before saying her name. He didn't want to put it on her. She would have hated it, and hated him. She would have been angry with him for days. He immediately changed his mind. "Me and Meghan, but this was my idea, we don't really feel... We don't feel like you and Catherine should come to the christening. And Victoria or the kids either."

That whole sentence was followed by interminable seconds of deep silence, broken by William.

"I'm not quite sure I get you."

Harry cleared his throat. "See it will be a very private thing. Us, dad, aunts and-"

"Henry I'm your brother, for Heaven's sake- I-"

"Don't call me Henry."

"Was that Meghan who asked you to do so? You can tell me. I won't tell her, I promise. Harry if she's forcing you to do things you don't want to you can seek help, we're here, granny will understand-"

"End the call. Now." From the corner of the room, Meghan raised an eyebrow and stared at her husband, who immediately nodded.

"No Will. My idea and mine only. Private things. We don't want too many people around. That's the best for Archie. Sorry if you don't get it. Your kids, one day, will ask you why you'd always let the world in their lives, also in their most private moments, without ever giving them privacy. Mine will thank me and Meghan for allowing them to have a childhood. I hope you're happy with your choices and won't regret anything."

Without another word, he closed the call and turned to his wife.

"Remember, Harry. Their children are spoiled and will think they are the kings of the world. They'll hate everything because the public's eye will always be on them. Our children will be happy. Alone with us. They must never come too close with your family or they'll ruin them like they did with you." She said once again. "Do you get that?"

"Yes, Meghan."

"I love you," she leaned on him and kissed him. "Our kids will be awesome and happy. And far, far away from here."

"That's the best choice." Harry agreed, turning to watch Archie, peacefully asleep in his crib, unaware of everything.

***

"We need to talk to your grandmother," Catherine sighed turning to William. "And your father."

The Prince turned to face her as well. "About Harry and his wife?"

She replied with a look that could be nothing but a silent way to say "What else could that be?", and he slowly nodded.

"I'm just worried about us," the Duchess went on, explaining. "Megan's behaviour towards our kids has been absolutely..." She shook her head, trying to get rid of painful and unpleasant memories. "She needs to stop."

William nodded, approaching her and wrapping his arms around her. "I'm sorry we had to go through this" he said, kissing her wife's cheek.

She looked up, a little smile on her face. "That's not your fault, and you know that. Hopefully we'll be out of it soon."

***

The clock stroke five exactly while the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge stepped out of the car that had just stopped in front of Buckingham Palace. The couple thanked their chauffeur and the guards, then proceeded to walk inside and upstairs, where Her Majesty The Queen was waiting for them.

It was a hot, summer day, less than a month after Trooping the Colour, unusually warm for a London summer.

"Are you okay?" William made sure, turning to his wife.

"I'm good." Catherine replied. "Are you?"

The Prince smile. "If you are, then yes."

Minutes later, they walked past the entrance door of the Music Room where the Queen was waiting for them. Their meeting had been arranged just a couple days earlier. In a few short weeks, the Queen was going to leave her London residence for Balmoral, where she was spending a couple months that summer, together with Prince Philip. The Cambridges and rest of the family were joining them later in the summer, and for a shorter period of time.

"Hello, William. Catherine." The Queen greeted the couple, who bowed and curtsied to her.

"Hello, grandma." William kissed his grandmother's cheek, followed by his wife. "Thank you for having time for us today."

"Well I'm as concerned as you are, and I think Henry has already told you their latest decisions on the christening." The Queen said, inviting the couple to seat in front of her.

With a suddenly sad face, William nodded. "He did, grandma."