22. Out of here

"Dad please, let me come!"

Victoria sighed, letting out a moan in disappointment, carefully following every step made by her father while reaching for things around the house. He was getting ready for an emergency meeting requested by his brother with their father and grandmother; though the reason hadn't been explained clearly, he already knew what it meant. They all did. And William was furious.

"I said no, Victoria." He replied firm. He wasn't used at calling his daughter by her full name but he was in a hurry, and his mind already elsewhere.

"I'm the future of the monarchy," Victoria wasn't intentioned in letting her dad win at all. "You need to bring me with you."

Deep down, the young Princess was livid as well. By bits of dialogues she had heen able to hear from her parents and putting pieces together she, too, knew what the discussion would be about, and she didn't like it at all. She was sad and disappointed, as she felt her uncle had betrayed her once again. But she didn't want her parents to see it. And she wanted to attend the meeting. She desperately wanted to.

"Victoria I love you so much but please shut up for a moment and keep quiet," suddenly, William stopped and turned, finding his daughter just a couple steps behind him. Victoria, surprised, just did as she was told and the Prince closed his eyes taking a deep breath. He covered his eyes with his hand and kept silent for a few seconds, then nodded. He didn't want to argue, nor to come back home to his angry and sad daughter to give her more sad news. "Listen-" he said. "You can come BUT I have conditions for that."

Victoria's eyes widened and she began nodding repeatedly. "Yes, yes- Anything! I'm ready I swear-"

"Listen before you agree." William said. "You won't be allowed in the room. You wait outside and I tell you everything later."

"But dad-" Victoria tried to reply, but William shushed her again.

"These are my conditions. Take it or leave."

Two seconds pondering the options and Victoria was nodding. "Yeah. Yeah okay."

"Great," William nodded grabbing a coat and throwing a scarf over his shoulders. "Hurry up, we've got to go."

The Princess trotted downstairs following her father, her mind already far away thinking how her life would be from then on. Harry had been in her life since she was born and she couldn't imagine not having him living right next door, dropping by every now and then at most weird times, right before bedtime or completely randomly during the afternoon after she had just gotten home from school.

It was her uncle, but it felt like she was losing her best friend.

When they left the house, in that foggy afternoon of January 4th, 2020, Victoria knew her whole world was about to change. But she had no idea that somewhere else, far, far away from London, on the other side of the world, something else was already working and within months her world wouldn't be the only one being changed forever.

***

When the car pulled over on the grounds of Sandringham, Prince William stormed outside, barely acknowleding the guards who just welcomed him and his daughter. He hurried inside the building, his steps sounding heavy on the old carpets that covered the floor. He walked past the hall and towards the stairs, with Victoria trotting behind him.

He was walking so quickly the Princess almost had troubles keeping up with him, and as they climbed upstairs she could only see his back, at least ten stairs ahead of her.

The Palace was strangely silent, and not many people were around. Victoria could only hypothesize it was because of the nature of the meeting they were going to attend. Well, that her father was going to attend.