12. Judgement Day

The picturesque village of Midsomer Mallow was busily preparing for the final round of the Perfect Village competition, and also the village meeting—attended by Marcus and Bella Devere, Ray Dorset, Laura Brierly, and Mary Drinkwater. Marcus, who was chairing the meeting, cleared his throat.

"We come now to the main item on the agenda—the Perfect Village competition. As we all know, it's only four days away now."

"It's July tenth," his wife, Bella, added helpfully.

"That's it," he agreed. "And let's not forget the first prize of five thousand pounds that's at stake."

"We could rebuild the village hall with that," said Ray Dorset, the local butcher.

Marcus nodded. "Absolutely, Ray, so we're leaving nothing to chance. Bella?"

"Oh, yes, thank you." She looked at her notes. "Well, the tent's going up on the green the day before, so lunch will be served at one o'clock."

"I've got all the food sorted, Mr. Devere," Ray interrupted. "We're going to have sausages, chicken wings, and pasties. I'll do the village proud."

"And at the same time, I'll be serving some of Marcus' home-made wine," Bella continued. "The apricot and elderberry has turned out absolutely tip top this year."

Marcus smiled. "It'll certainly make an impression. Now, as for entertainment, there's going to be a musical gala on the green to accompany lunch. Mary?"

"Nothing to worry about there, Marcus," Mary Drinkwater assured him. "I've been working with the village orchestra. In fact, we've been going at it hammer and tongs."

"Well, not literally, I hope," Marcus joked.

Mary chuckled. "It's important to show these judges that there's still some young blood in Midsomer Mallow."

"Absolutely."

"I don't suppose we know yet who the judges are?" Ray asked.

"Well, Rosemary Furman, the editor of Country Matters, is going to be one," Marcus replied. "And I think Frank Mannion has agreed to join the panel as well."

"Frank Mannion?"

"He does that gardening program on television," Laura told him. "You know, Along the Garden Path?"

"That's right," Marcus confirmed. "And I believe Annabel Cross has also been asked to join. Oh, and there's also a member of the public."

Mary raised her eyebrows. "Oh?"

"Yes, er... they ran a competition and someone—I've got her name here somewhere—anyway, the winner will be asked to join the panel. She'll probably be the easiest one to impress. Find her an extra sausage and her vote will be in the bag!"

***

"So..." said Tom Barnaby, raising his eyebrows as he read through the brochure Joyce had been given. "You're going to be a judge, are you? What's the first prize?"

She gave him a stern look. "That was the first prize, Tom. It means a week away from home, first class travel, and a big dinner at the end."

"Away from home for a week?" he echoed.

Joyce rolled her eyes. "Don't worry, I've already phoned Cully. She's coming tomorrow."

"Is she not working?"

"She is. She's writing a book."

"A book?" He tilted his head. "Well, that's different."

"It's something to do with the theatre," Joyce explained. "I'm sure she'll tell you all about it."