Chapter 12: New Opportunities

I stood in front of the now burnt-down pizza plex, holding on to the blanket that was draped around my shoulders two nights before. I hardly spoke, hardly slept, hardly ate. I understood that I was in no condition to take care of Sandy, so I dropped her off at my mother's. I continued to stare at the black, smog-marked building as a van pulled into the parking lot and parked next to me.

The door opened, and the sound of footsteps stopped once the person stood next to me. I turned my head a bit. It was Mr. D. We both continued to look at the building in silence for 5 or so minutes, not saying a word of greeting or anything to each other. He finally broke the silence that made my heart drop dead, "They're alive."

Slowly I turned my head to him. "What. . .?" I whispered, not quite believing the words that had left his mouth.

"They're alive," he repeated. "Or at least, his version of alive. His programming and memory chip are perfectly intact. As if they had been preserved or held somewhere so safe not even a scratch or speck of dust would appear. With some time, of course, we can have him up and running again just like new. Regarding the situation, the news will write it as an electrical fire, and that Vanny- I mean Vanessa will be identified as a missing person due to not even us finding the body. This will make rebuilding a little bit easier."

"You're rebuilding the pizza plex?" And he shook his head at my question, smiling.

"No, no, no," he said chuckling. "I'm rebuilding a daycare. Most of the bots got destroyed in the fire and a couple are missing. So rebuilding would be hard. But I know making a daycare would be great for them," he gestured to the van. "and for you."

"They're in there?" I whispered, my voice groggy. 

"His body, yes," Mr. D. sighed. "their memory chip is being preserved as we speak, getting finalizations ready to begin. I was wondering if you would like to have him? We have some buyers who are dying to have him, but I wanted to consult you first because while looking through the memory chip I saw some, interesting things."

I sunk to my knees as tears streamed down my face at the sudden news of my lovers being alive. Mr. D. placed his hand on my shoulder to let me know he was there for me. "You know," he spoke after some time. "I've seen many relationships in my time but never have I seen one between a robot and a human. You're something else kid."

And with that, he cracked his knuckles and helped me to my feet, smiling. "Well, I best be getting back to the shop now. I have your lover bot I need to get started on."

This managed to make a smile spread across my face, "Thank you, Mr. D."

He waved it off. "Dean is fine." and I nodded before he handed me a stack of papers. "Also, these are for you. They're copyright papers. Once you sign them, they will be all yours."

I nodded, it was too painful to speak now after my throat not healing right away and I watched as Dean got into his van and drove off. I turned back to the burnt building, clenching the papers close to my chest and I took in every detail before heading back to my car to go and pick up my daughter. 

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Over a month has passed since then. Dead would give me some updates about Sun and Moon and how they were faring. I got a better apartment and Dean would send me some money for food. Sandy's head was healed mostly and she was as energetic as ever. However, she never lets anyone get close to her head anymore, causing her to flinch and space out for the rest of the day. It pained me to see my daughter like this, but she would reassure me that she was fine and that it'll be gone in a few months.

The new daycare grand opening was today. Despite the repairs on Sun/Moon weren't yet complete, Dean instructed that I was going to have to run it by myself for a bit. I sighed as I stood in front of the mirror, the new uniform was a blaze yellow shirt with a nametag that had a sun and moon on the opposite sides of my name and some plain black pants. I sighed as I straightened myself up, taking some lint off of my shoulders before Sandy barged into the room.

"Come onnnnn," she groaned, gripping her Sun and Moon dolls. "We're gonna be late Bubba." It was nice seeing her hold onto the dolls once again. After the incident, she had been wary when it came to touching them.

I smiled, "Alright I'm coming, I'm coming."

Sandy giggled, grabbing my arm and tugging me out of the door. The daycare wasn't too far from the apartment, it was a good walking distance which helped a lot due to the junk car not really starting up anymore. I was gonna have to learn how to fix it later. As we approached the new daycare, it looked like a fancy gym with suns and moons and rainbows, and all kinds of childish drawings on the outside. In big letters at the top, the sign read, "Sunny Day Daycare!"

I pulled out my keys and unlocked the front door, pushing them open to reveal an exact replica of the old daycare. Everything from the ball pit to the soft corner to the naptime room. Exactly the same. Sandy squealed as she started running around and hopping on the playsets, suddenly, the lights went out, and a hand snaked its way up to the shoulder as a voice whispered in my ear the very words I have been longing to hear since a month ago.

"Hello again, darling. Did you miss us~?"