Chapter Two: Money

I pulled into the MegaPlex parking lot once more. It was Friday and has already been 4 days since I first dropped Sandy off here. And no matter how many times we stop by, she is always excited. I chuckled at her enthusiasm, and thankfully, I didn't have to work today. I wished Sandy would've liked both of us to hang together for the day since who knew when my next day off was gonna be, but all she wanted to do was go to the daycare and see Sundrop.

I clenched my chest and pretended to wipe away a fake tear. He's taking my precious child away from me, I thought as I started getting out of the car and Sandy dragging me along. "Come on, come onnn," she urged me, gripping my fingers tightly.

"I'm coming," I smiled as she continued to drag me into the mall. All of the sudden, my phone buzzed in my pocket. The message read; "Hey, can you come into work right now? The person who was supposed to come in got sick." 

I sighed, rubbing the bridge of my nose, I know I could have refused, but with Sandy's birthday coming up and the bill for the apartment and car, it was all gonna take a lot more shifts and tired nights. When we walked through the doors toward the daycare before the slide, I bent down once again to Sandy's level, "Listen, sweetie, Baba got called into work today so I won't be able to pick you up until sometime after 9:30 is alright?"

Sandy looked at you with disappointment. "All you do is work." With no goodbye or anything, she marched off and went down the slide. I looked at the ground at my feet. "What am I doing wrong?" I mumbled, holding my head in my hands. Then suddenly there was a tap on my shoulder, causing me to look up. 

There was an animatronic standing in front of me, its exterior was gray with some hints of yellow and his face had what looked like glasses. "Hi, please take this map." It said, handing a piece of paper to me, almost causing me to laugh. I thanked the bot and just when I was about to leave, I saw a poster on the wall that caught my eye.

"'Looking for Co-Daycare Attendant'?" I said out loud, stepping toward the poster. "Required age is 18+, good with kids, a high school diploma, and patience?" My phone buzzed again, signaling that my new shift was gonna start soon, so I took it out and snapped a quick picture of the phone number on the bottom before heading back to my car.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I stumbled out of the store when it was finally closed, my feet felt as if super hot needles were poking the bottom. I just wanted to sleep, and thankfully one of my other coworkers offered to take my shift tomorrow because I missed mine today. I started the car and drove all the way back to the MegaPlex, hardly managing to keep my eyes open. 

I stumbled all the way to the other door of the daycare, not the pick-up side. And I slowly lowered myself in a position about ready to slide down the slide. Three, two, one, I thought as I launched myself down the slide, tiredly giggling in the process. When I reached the end, I was too tired to get up, but I felt someone approaching me, someone big. Sundrop.

Picking me up with ease as if I was a child, he held me there for a second before saying. "Oh! Sandy's guardian! Welcome back! I apologize, I didn't get your name last time but what are you doing over here?"

"Oh, my name is..." I started before going limp for a second then regaining conscience. "I'm sorry, my name is Y/N," I said as I tapped the robot's hands lightly. Something warm dripped down my face, so I reached a hand up and touched it. My nose was bleeding and the world was starting to spin.

"Oh no!" I heard Sundrop say before I was out.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

"Pattycake, pattycake. Bakerman, bake me a cake as fast as you can," I heard those words when I slowly began to open my eyes. I was surrounded by pillows and blankets in a little tent fort, a first aid kit right by my side. I looked around and my eyes landed on Sandy and Sun, sitting criss-cross from each other.

I used my arms to try and push myself off the ground before them growing weak and crushing back down. That seemed to have caught Sandy and Sun's attention because they turned to me and rushed to get up. "Baba," Sandy said, almost starting to tear up as she ran toward me to give me a hug. "Are you okay, Baba?"

"Yes, are you alright, Y/N?" Sundrop asked quietly and calmly, trying not to overwhelm me with too much. I nodded, "I'm alright guys, thank you. We should get going, Sandy." I made a move to get up once again but to no avail, I couldn't bring myself to get up.

"Oh no no no, it's alright," Sundrop said, moving toward me and scooping me up. "Why not stay for the night? You are in no condition to move, my dear friend. Why don't we all relax and watch a movie together? I love movies. Don't you? Don't you?" I nodded.

"I love movies too! We should watch a Disney movie!" Sandy pitched in, carrying a lot of pillows and blankets for her small size.

"Sounds wonderful!" Sundrop said, placing me down in yet another tent in the movie area with even more blankets, a popcorn machine, and a big-screen TV. It's been a while since I've been to the movies. Much less with Sandy. There was never enough time, and it's one of the things I regret the most.

Sundrop and Sandy both took a seat by me on each side as they were debating on which Disney movie to pick. Either way, we all, or at least, Sandy and I, will pass out at some point. With the little strength I had left, I grabbed a pillow and propped it up against Sundrop's arm. And just like that, my head hit the pillow and I was out like a candle on a windy day.