Week 15 Part 7 (Saturday)

Start from the beginning

     As everybody is chatting, Sarah and Hannah come into the lobby. The moms organize the suitcases as Sarah gets her donut: a sour cream donut. Of course, Sarah sits next to me, and the tempting smell of sugar fills my nose.

    "Want some?" Sarah asks, her voice muffled by the donut in her mouth, holding out a chunk of the donuts.

    "I don't like sour cream donuts, sorry," I lie, pushing the donut away.

     The pale yellow couch is getting even more full. Ten people are on the couch and there are eight more people still in their hotel rooms. They have to get downstairs in fifteen minutes, or else we have to do room checks.

     Around a minute later, I see Mom's blue dress. I look up. It's Mom with Amanda. They also have coffee with them. Mom doesn't hand me a donut. Even with the suspicions, I'm so glad and thankful she's still respecting my competition rituals.

     "Where are Berkleigh and Gia?" Hannah asks.

     "And Kisha and Ann," Joanne adds.

     "They have five minutes until room checks," Mom reports, looking at her phone.

     The sleepiness isn't getting any better, and I rest my head in Mom's lap. Just moving makes me insanely dizzy, but I eventually can get readjusted, even though my ribs are digging into her leg.

     Suddenly, I hear tromping footsteps. It's Gia and Berkleigh. At least we have all the kids. We can't compete without them. I smile at Gia and I give a blank expression at Berkleigh, and she smiles weakly at me.

     "Sorry, we're late! My cat ears almost broke!" Gia hastily explains, putting her suitcase neatly in the organized pile.

     "Are you excited, Berkleigh?" Amanda asks her daughter, handing her a normal glazed donut.

     After eagerly snatching the donut, she happily replies, "Yeah! I can't wait!"

     Joanne gives Gia a Boston Cream donut. So many calories. I shudder before sitting up, a cold flash overtaking me. Pressley, on my right, puts her arm around me and pulls me close, thinking that huddling against me will provide me warmth. How sweet.

     "Kisha and Ann have one minute until a room check," Tricia mutters, and my leg starts shaking in anxiety.

     What if Hannah and Paris' moms died? What if they're lying in a pool of blood in a hotel room? Hannah starts fidgeting with her fingers. She's nervous as well. I look around nervously. Where are they?

     "We're here! We're here!" somebody shouts and all of our eyes quickly turn to the source of the sound.

     It's none other than Ann and Kisha. Hannah takes a deep sigh of relief, and so do I. They're not dead, just tardy. Ann hands Hannah a chocolate donut with sprinkles, and Paris gets a powdered donut.

     A couple of seconds later, Ms. Abby wheels out of the elevator with Ms. Gianna, eating two donuts: a vanilla frosted one and a Boston Cream one. I feel sick just looking at the sugar, so I close my eyes.

     "Good morning everybody!" Ms. Gianna and Ms. Abby announce.

     Using the call and response method, we all answer back, "Good morning!"

     "I want everybody on the bus now. We have a long day ahead of us!" Ms. Abby barks, and I quickly stand up, immediately collapsing into Mom's arms, and she props me back up.

     Mom says nothing. I blink a couple of times and stumble to the suitcase pile to grab my suitcase. Once again, the first three seconds are awful, pulling at my suitcase, but once I get some momentum going, it's easier.