Week 15 Part 7 (Saturday)

Start from the beginning

     "Lilly, you need to eat something!" Pressley cries, handing me a granola bar.

     "I never ate on competition days anyway!" I yell, sitting on the bed.

     Pressley sighs, de-escalating the situation, and tells me, "We'll go when you're ready, Lilly. I'll get your things ready for when we can go."

     "I'm ready, just let me get my shoes on," I quickly tell her, the stomach cramp subsiding.

     I stand up and I black out again. Taking a few deep breaths, I stand up again, and I get on my feet. I find my shoes and slide them on before trying to pick up my suitcase. It takes a couple of tries, but I manage to get it to a rolling position. I grab my phone, water bottle, hair and makeup supplies, and Pressley and I get out of the hotel room.

    Something seems off. The walk through the hallway seems longer. The carpet squishes weirdly beneath my shoes. They're barren as if nobody has been here in months. Furthermore, the elevator takes forever to get to us. And when it does, nobody's in it. It's happened before, but something about it seems off.

     "This is creepy," I say out loud.

     "I know right?" Pressley agrees as the elevator doors slowly close.

    The hydraulic sound begins in the elevator. We're definitely going to fall and die. I anxiously close my eyes and wait to time the jump, awaiting the point where the pulley system fails. It's going to fail because of how heavy you are, Lilliana.

    The descent is taking forever. We're only on the third floor, why is it taking so long? My vision goes hazy, but I don't feel like I'm going to pass out. I hear a small bing and the elevator door opens.

     I lug my suitcase out of the elevator, feeling like my bones will break if I tug too hard. Eventually, I gain enough momentum with the wheels and it isn't so hard to roll my suitcase. Brady and Paris are in the lobby. Pressley and I join them on the humongous pale yellow couch.

     "Are you excited for your first competition?" I ask, sitting on Brady's lap.

     "I'm actually really nervous. If I mess up, Berkleigh's going to get the place," Paris admits.

     "Worst case scenario, you get a TV credit under your belt. Plus, I'm going, to be honest," I get closer to her ear. "After Berkleigh ratted me out, I kind of want you to get the spot more."

     Paris laughs and replies, "Thanks."

     Tricia and Joanne arrive next, drinking coffee. Tricia gives Brady a strawberry-frosted donut for his breakfast before they both sit down. I have to avert my eyes from the donut and I get off Brady's lap and closer to Pressley. I cannot be tempted to eat. I have survived eight days without eating and without anybody at least taking me to the hospital. I'm not giving up without a fight.

     I decide to pull out my phone. It's seven o'clock. I look at my texts. Dad, Caden, Violet, Eva, Kaylynn, Callie, Elliana, and even Savannah and Kamryn, all wish me good luck. I spend the next five minutes thanking them. They're just saying good luck because they're obligated to Lilliana.

     I open up Candy Crush, and as I'm halfway through the level, I hear footsteps, so I look up. Ashley and Michelle. Ashley hands Pressley a strawberry-frosted donut with rainbow sprinkles. I avert my eyes once again and focus on the level.

     "So how is everybody feeling?" Michelle asks.

     "Good," I lie, ironically getting another stomach cramp.

      I grab a comfort pillow off of the couch and cover my stomach, my vision blurring even more with my stomach pain. Pressley side-eyes me, silently checking on me. I point to my stomach and discreetly crunch up my hands, charading a stomach cramp. Pressley gets the memo and gives me a sympathetic smile.