They're talking about me, Kai realized and a knot of dread coiled in his gut.

Of course they were talking about him. What else was there to talk about between a grandfather and his grandson? Suddenly, he was the sun and the moon and everything revolved around him somehow. Kai was frankly fed up with all this attention. It wasn't something he'd ever bargained for.

They were only at the start of their evening and already he was dreading the rest of the bloated affair. The only thing he could look forward to was going to see his mother after this dinner debacle.

Marius's eyes flashed blue like a bolt of lightning. A lesser merman would have gone up in flames where he stood. "I didn't. I found him." And it was the most possessive thing Kai had ever heard him say.

He's mine, he was saying. He's mine and you can't have him.

The ghost of a chill wiggled down his spine.

He got the distinct feeling a secret battle was being waged over the assorted dishes of fish and weird-looking fish eggs.

A battle over him. He was being fought over like a piece of furniture, or the dog in a couple's nasty divorce. Neither of the couple really cared about getting the dog; they just wanted it to spite the other.

But then he doubted there were magical dogs out there.

On second thought, mermaids were a thing and he was half one. He should really reconsider his beliefs.

King Trigon's smile fell. All feigned sweetness was gone from his voice when he said, "You would never have found him if it were not for our teachings and guidance, boy." He was suddenly speaking in the royal 'our'.

Boy. He'd called Marius the Conqueror 'boy' like that man wasn't as old as some countries. Just how much older was King Trigon exactly?

Kai got the distinct feeling that only a few select individuals could call Marius 'boy' without promptly losing their head.

"Trust when we tell you that your guidance stopped being of any use centuries ago. It was with our endeavors that he was found. If we had followed your teachings, the ocean would have dried up before I ever found a trace of him." It was Marius's turn to switch to the royal speech.

Animosity was ripe in the air. Dinner was promptly forgotten, not that Kai could stomach swallowing a single bite. He half expected the two kings to flip the table out of the way and go at each other with the butter knives. Now that would be a show.

How did Marius find him anyway?

Apparently, it hadn't been easy. He made a mental note to ask about this later, hopefully on their way to see his mother.

"How quick you are to forget that you would not be who are are today if it were not for our generosity and care-"

"The only thing you ever cared about is drinking and fucking-"

"-when your father was busy waging wars all over the ocean like some deranged-"

"Do not speak to me about my father!" Marius's face blackened, like a dark thunderstorm. Only a fool would dare say anything after that.

"I took you in, you ungrateful wretch! Gave you a house to belong to when your own mother-"

The candelabras abruptly sizzled off, and then they flickered on again, except this time the fire was purple.

Kai stared at the purple flame with rounded eyes, unable to hide his astonishment.

It had to be more magic.

In a low voice that would have sent the most dauntless of men running for the hills, Marius said, "You will not say another word about our mother. Your daughter." The last bit sounded like an accusation.

So King Trigon was father to Marius's mother.

Kai recalled his mother. She'd been sitting in one of the amphitheater's alcoves, and had summoned her champion to fight him. He recalled her riveting beauty and cold blue eyes, much like Marius's, much like his grandfather's.

It was almost funny how the two were alike both in physical traits and character. They deserved each other, really. They all did.

King Trigon guffawed in laughter.

Kai gaped.

"These little parlor tricks won't work on me, boy. Or are you trying to impress your guest?"

Trigon finally looked at Kai, piercing him with his shark-like blue gaze. All evening, Kai had been relieved by the fact that the White King seemed to be ignoring him.

But it seemed he now had the King's full attention.