36 | S H A D O W S O N T H E W A L L S

Start from the beginning

Pushing away the thought that Mbali probably didn't hear him after all, Erik had a new series of questions floating around his head. The main one, being who even told Mbali about his birthday? Tapping the beads on his wrist, he saw the date that glowed in a bright blue.

It was definitely his birthday.

"I mean, if you don't like to celebrate it, I understand. But, you could've at least told me it was coming up... and Sage told me."

"Of-fuckin-course it was Sage." Erik scoffed. Taking a sip of his water, he cleared his throat afterward and put his hands on the table. "I didn't say anything about my birthday, because I'm not big on celebrating it."

"I can see that, that's why I cooked breakfast for you this morning, since you would probably hate if I actually planned something." Her tone calmed now as she walked towards him. Mbali rested her head on his shoulder. "Usuku lokuzalwa olumnandi, N'Jadaka." Happy birthday, N'Jadaka.  Mbali mumbled to him, and turned to peck his cheek before returning to her former position on his shoulder.

Erik wrapped his free hand around her waist, giving her the same peck, but placing it on her forehead. He would have vocally thanked her, but he knew how people talking with food in their mouths made her skin crawl. He was adjusting to how well her body molded into his side, fitting almost like a puzzle.

"What do you want to do today?"

"Whatever you wanna do."

"It's your birthday."

"And I'm cool with doing whatever you wanna do."

Erik was never big on celebrating his birthday after finding out what happened to his mom, but after the death of his dad, it was definitely something he would ever find much joy in. Before his dads death, he would be asked the same question by him. 'What do you wanna do for your birthday, man?' To which Erik would always have the same reply: 'whatever you wanna do.'

Doing whatever his dad wanted to do made him feel like he could at least be grateful for the small things in life. Maybe he was always looking for purpose in that same thing, but he could never find it. He had a lot of issues that he had to deal with and try to make sense of. He was never too sure of how.

However, Mbali found a way to be a turning point for him. Was he still big on celebrating his birthday? No. But, he felt a willingness to enjoy himself in whatever she wanted to do.

"Well, it's not much we can go out and do since T'Challa shut the city down. We can stay here and make the most of it... pick each other's brains a little bit."

"Pick each other's brains, huh?" He gave an amused smirk. Erik's thumb began to rub circles on Mbali's thigh. "Don't we do that enough as it is?"

"Yeah... but a little more wouldn't hurt. I like knowing what's going on in that head of yours when you don't let me in."

"I think that's the other way around. You weren't letting me in just a few minutes ago just because I didn't tell you about a birthday."

Mbali made her way back to her previous spot in the kitchen, mixing her spoon into her bowl. "It's not that I wasn't letting you in, I just had no thoughts, just emotions. I couldn't think them, but I was able to feel them."

"And what emotions were there?"

"None of your business, nosey."

A soft chuckle came from Erik's mouth as he stood, taking his plate towards the sink. "I'll find out— but back to picking brains..."

"I feel like you're going to make me regret offering this idea." Mbali sighed, feeling his presence behind her, and two hands snake around her frame. "This is not that kind of brain picking I was referring to."