𝒙𝒊𝒊. a spark

❛ you look scared

❛ you look scared. ❜

MONA CALLED SAM AGAIN, BUT SHE wouldn't pick up.

Rolling her eyes, Mona put her phone in her pocket and picked up her backpack. She stood outside of the dojo, waiting her dad.

As she waited, Kreese walked outside. They exchanged a look and he nodded, pulling a cigar out of his pocket and lighting it up.

"Where'd you learn to fight, Mitchell?"

Mona glanced up at him. "Um– my grandpa. He started teaching me karate when I was ten."

Kreese took a drag from his cigar, retaining this information with a slow nod.

"You're good," he told her. "Hell, you may even be the best."

Mona laughed quietly. "Oh, I doubt that."

"All you need is to be more aggressive," Kreese continued. "Then, no one stands a chance against you."

She folded her arms behind her, looking up at Kreese quizzically.

"How can you be so sure?"

Kreese pointed a finger at her. "You've got fire in you. All it needs is a spark."

Mona stared at him, narrowing her eyes. She had no problem with Kreese, in fact, she thought he was a pretty cool old guy.

"What's your grandfather's name?" he then asked.

Mona started to reply, "Te–"

"Mona!"

She turned, seeing that Billy had arrived. Mona briefly waved to Kreese, then went to the car.

As she got in, Billy said, "Who is that guy?"

Mona looked over, seeing that he was talking about Kreese.

"That's Sensei Kreese," Mona said. "He seems really familiar. I feel like I've seen him somewhere before."

Billy gripped his hand tighter on the steering wheel, his knuckles turning white. Mona picked up on it, seeing that he seemed bothered.

"Something wrong?" she asked, frowning.

He shook his head after a moment. "No. You ready to go shopping?"

Mona broke into a smile.

"No, are you ready to go shopping?"